Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X-win session not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hi,

I'm using Mandrake 10 and trying to get an X-win session on my PC but nothing happens when I try this. I previously got this working on Red Hat 9, but thus far Mandrake 10 is not cooperating. Can anyone offer any advice as to the steps for Mandrake 10 or perhaps logs that I can check to see what is happening?

Thanks.

Snr Unix System Admin/DBA
Digicel Jamaica (

how are you doing this exactly? trying to get to a graphical login from the server or just run xclients from the server, like xterm?

if xclients, ensure your DISPLAY variable is set on the Mandrake side, if for the xdm login, ensure Mandrake's server is listening for the connection...

Have you tried VNC maybe?

Click below for S8700 Media Server information

I'm trying to use Starnet X-win32 to get a remote GUI. How do I determine if the Mandrake server is listening for the connection?

VNC doesn't work, but I don't think that's setup properly as as yet.

Thanks.

Snr Unix System Admin/DBA
Digicel Jamaica (

It's been a while since I've used X-win32 as I prefer Hummingbird... on the linux box, what display manager are you using? The default with redhat is gdm for logins. in the file gdm.conf (use 'locate gdm.conf to find, in mandrake it's in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf) you'll have a section called [xmdcp], see if the remote listener is enabled: "Enable=true", the file is well documented.

Click below for S8700 Media Server information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back