Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X-over cable connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need to copy docs from laptop to desktop. I dont have laplink to monitor comms. Both use win98 SE. In laptop I have NIC but no network card in desktop. How to do? Exist any free soft/w to communicate via parallel port? Basically I need to use parallel (or serial) port cable for file transfer. TX in advice for help.

Windows 98 comes with a program called DIRECT CABLE CONNECTION to allow communications via Parallel or serial connection. You may need ot install it. Just go to START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL. then go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. From there go to WINDOWS SETUP then double click on communications. Select DIRECT CABLE CONNECTION. You will need your windows CD handy. When it is done you can access it by going to START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>COMMUNICATIONS and selecting Direct cable connection. Its that simple once installed and started just follow the promts to set it up. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

And, of course, you will need serial or parallel laplink cable (it is just called "laplink", you do not need the laplink software).

Good luck.

Oops sorry I forgot about the cable. Thanks BOKA. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back