Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

*.x files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PZ

Programmer
Jul 21, 2000
IT
Anyone know where I can find more *.x files or object files for DarkBASIC?

Thanx in advance! [sig]<p> Alex<br><a href=mailto:pizzapz@libero.it>pizzapz@libero.it</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*** Q(uick)BASIC RULEZ! :D***[/sig]

Well best place to look is on DarkBasic's site itself, but you can convert 3dsmax and some other 3d models into X files using Darkbasic, and for the more typically supported models (3dsmax, lightwave, etc) check out 3dcafe.com and goto free stuff, they'll have a huge index of free models. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Ciao biello!!Hai aperto un forum su DB !!!BrraVVVo [sig][/sig]

Elmigra, it's good to hear some enthusiasm but please post in English. Non-English posts tend to disappear without warning.

This forum is very new and is intended to address problems with a very new language. That's why there is very little activity here.

I have a very long list of questions that require answers but it would be senseless to ask them before I am able to make DB run correctly on this wimpy machine. My work machines are far superior but the &quot;training simulation&quot; project I began has been placed &quot;on hold&quot;.

P.S. I really don't care for the discussion at the Dark Basic site. I prefer Tek-Tips where nobody gets flamed, nobody has to fend off recruiters, nobody has to deal with foul talk and nobody has to walk away without an answer.

[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.[/sig]

Can anyone give me a quick explanation of what darkbasic is? i've never heard of it. [sig]<p>Ruairi<br><a href=mailto:ruairi@logsoftware.com>ruairi@logsoftware.com</a><br>[/sig]

Very quickly: the DB developers call it the Ultimate Beginners Language. It makes it simple to create fancy 3D games and animations with only a few lines of code.

Check it at
And here are some additional links....

Dark Basic also has a discussion forum:

I didn't care much for the message board (it's easy to be picky once you've had the best... Tek-Tips).

[sig]<a href=mailto:CraigL@bc-corp.com>CraigL@bc-corp.com</a><br>[/sig]

Sorry to everyone for my non-english message [sig][/sig]

If you can get a copy of this month's PC Format magazine (UK), it has a 3D modeller called Amapi on the coverdisk. It has the ability to load .3DS and .X objects and also save in these file formats.

I downloaded the DarkBASIC demo a while back, but I haven't had a chance to get into it fully, yet. It was a superb program to use - very easy to write programs, but I think it could do with a few enhancements. In my opinion, it could do with having different colours for the text, depending on whether it is a keyword, string, etc... (just like in modern programming languages, like Delphi). It would also be nice to allow a screen resolution of greater than 640x480.

As a programming language, it was nostalgic - reminded me of the good old days of Amiga programming with AMOS! :) [sig][/sig]

btw, Alt255 - I like the Pink Floyd reference! :) [sig][/sig]

You mean to tell me I just paid $55 for a programming language that can't do better than 640 x 480?! DAMN! [sig]<p>Javin<br><a href=mailto:Javin@Javin-Inc.com>Javin@Javin-Inc.com</a><br><a href= Inc.</a><br><br>
Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?[/sig]

Javin, I don't see a problem with the resolution. Motion tends to blur the imperfections.

My rather non-technical solution is to grimace, squint, laugh and create a lot of motion.

Half of any computing experience is the responsibility of the user.
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br><i>"To run Visual Basic, you must have certain hardware and software installed on your computer.<br>
• Any IBM-compatible machine with an 80286 processor or higher.<br>
• One megabyte of memory."</i><br>
<br>
<b><u>Visual Basic Programmer's Guide</u>[/sig]

I meant the 640x480 resolution in the editor! I'm pretty sure you can go higher than that with the programs you create. [sig][/sig]

Bujin, if you mean [tt]SET DISPLAY MODE[/tt], okay.

I was talking about the editor. <g>

:cool::)X-):-Vs-)LOL:cool::)X-):-Vs-)LOL:cool:X-)
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br><i>"To run Visual Basic, you must have certain hardware and software installed on your computer.<br>
<br>

Sorry about the giggles. You have to admit that the editor is still a bit klutsy!

Oh well... maybe in the next version....
<br>

Aye, still it's all good fun! I think my response above was directed more towards Javin than yourself. I must admit, I don't know that much about DB as yet, because I haven't had the time to get into it. [sig][/sig]

Cool! I'll have a look at that. I was going to do something similar myself at one point, but I never got around to it. Anyway, I'm not much of a programmer, so it would have been very crude! :)

RaTTuS, that's a really slick editor. It solves a few of the problems I've been having but it seems a little awkward in a few ways. When you press F5 to execute a project it just starts the Dark Basic editor and you have to load the *.DBA file and run it inside the native editor.

I didn't see mention in the readme text... do you know of any plans to allow actual execution and compiling inside Dark Edit?
VCA.gif

Hey, Alt255. I haven't tried the editor yet (I'm still in work!) but don't you think that if this editor could execute a project itself then there would be no need for DarkBASIC at all? I doubt the creators of DB would like that very much! :)

TO Alt255:

Here's a quote from the downloadable DarkEdit text file.

&quot; Integration with the DarkBASIC engine; with the upcoming release of DB v1.07d, users will be able to seamlessly compile and run DarkBASIC programs from within DarkEDIT.
&quot;

Here's the link:

RaTTuS
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back