Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

X-client for Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf26

MIS
Apr 1, 1999
CA
I heard about a Windows utility (SuperX?) that can import graphic from a UNIX workstation and display X-Window in Windows system. Can anybody give further information and where can I get it?

Reflections is not too bad from WRQ and personally I have found the latest version to be more useful than Exceed, also VNC (Virtual Network Console) from AT&T in UK is pretty good.

Is there a public domain X implentation (for WinNT) anywhere?<br>
<br>
Mike<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

VNC (Virtual Network Console) is Freeware for Unix and NT client and server, I think I may be wrong about it being AT&T though it maybe Olivetti in UK. I use it across several NT4 Servers, workstations and Solaris 2.6 hosts and clirnts. Works well and is real small.

Sounds hopeful - where is the best place to download it?<br>
<br>
-ml<br>
<p>Mike Lacey<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

Oopps.. sorry the delay in replying... ok.. <br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> is where I got it from, its an Olivetti and Oracle joint project and Freeware, I use it mainly across NT-NT and NT to Solaris. Works just fine, although obviously it opens a port up if you seriously security concious.

Hmmm....might also try Linux2000 it's a specially desinged linux OS made for Windows geeks....it runs the whole Linux OS under Winblows like a program (Only drawback is that, running under windows, it's still subject to slowdowns caused by windows bloat & crashes caused by Windows bugs). I'd recommend using Linux with Wine if you <i>really</i> have to keep your legacy apps running on a windows environment. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

&lt;grin&gt; Thx Rob.<br>
<br>
If I could put everything - and everyone - onto Linux then I probably would. But persuading a company with 80,000 employees that penguins are cuddly is probably beyond even my abilities (this week).<br>
<br>
I do use Linux for various web servers, bits and bobs and at home - I'm not *all* corporate IT.<br>
<br>
-ml<br>

Hey guys, I'm working on it, I got them from 100% NT to 50%/50% with Solaris and 100% MAC to 75%/25% Irix... I'm part of the way to Linux in my shops... thats why I still gotta play with VNC and alike...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back