Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WYSIWYG Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyboybert

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi all, been a while since I been around here, hope you don't mind helping out someone who has been too busy for helping out himself the last few months :)

[ RANT ]
Im fed up of WYSIWYG, rich-text, all singing, all dancing editors for CMS and forums. I've been working with them in various forms for years and they are all, without exception, buggy, awkward to use, non cross-browser compatible and based on Microsofts (and hey I LOVE Microsoft) appaling MSHTML. Even John Dyers highly regarded FreeTextBox suffers from all these problems and drives you carzy as a box of frogs if you try to use the supposedly supported Mozilla FireFox.
[ /RANT ]

So what I want is a return to the good ol' days. No not a plain old textbox but a marginally intelligent plain old textbox that parses bbcode (shock horror a PHP idea being plugged by a MS developer) and doesn't allow HTMl through.

Sure I could knock this up myself in a couple of days but surely someone else out there must be as peeved (and boy i'd like to use some stronger language) as I am with this endless train of half implemented, poorly designed and basically unusable wysiwyg offerings that are all can be found as components for an ASP.NET app, and besides I got better things to be doing than rewriting the editor yet again!

So please, please, please somebody tell me you know a reliable plain old textbox editor that can manage some basic validation and parses bbcode so I can consign FreeTextBox and its compatriots to the Recycle bin until they at least work reliable in more than one browser and can produce some of the oft claimed valid XHTML output.

Alternatively perhaps someone out there has written a C# bbcode parser, again I could do this but surely I'm not the only person to ever want one?

Come on guys help me out or otherwise I might just grow a beard and go back to PHP ;-)

Cheers Rob

i'm a boy, called Bert, and I may not be crazy, but if i'm not the rest of you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back