Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

www prefix

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierbalk

Programmer
Feb 27, 2002
AR
Hi, I have web a site hosted in a NT server. In this server all the sites must be accessed with the and I don't know what to do for making the web sites available without the www.
What do I have to do?
Thanks in advance,

Javier

Generally, the is just a server identification within a domain (as in Internet domain and not NT domain). If this public domain has multiple machines for different services then DNS name resolution will assign the appropriate IP address to the machine prefix

eg.

mail.foo.bar.com 192.168.0.2
ftp.foo.bar.com 192.168.0.3
foo.bar.com (default) 192.168.0.4

So pointing a browser at and foo.bar.com in this case would result in two different pages (provided the machine 192.168.0.4 had a web server running - otherwise nothing).

However, it could be that the server is hosting many web domain names.

If the server is configured to host multiple sites - each with a unique IP address - then the confuration would be for the server to masquarade as many IP addresses and the web server software would interpret the site to display from this address redirection.

If the server is hosting many sites but they share the same IP address in the DNS - then the config of the web server software would be to interpret the NAME in providing the website to display.

It depends on what web server you are running as to how to configure what web pages to display for different IP addresses and/or site names and machine prefixes. Check out the IIS and Apache forums for details for those two web servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back