Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

www missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexJacobus

Programmer
Dec 10, 2001
NZ
If someone types the correct page loads and the url says FINE.

If someone types the correct page loads and the url says FINE.

But if someone leaves off the last slash and just types www.myURL.com/Match the correct page loads but the url now says WHY?

My boss really doesn't like this and I have no idea why the missing.

Any suggestions?

jim

Your web server or host is set up to handle things that way. I'm not sure what the problem is, though, as long as people get to the correct page. "My boss really doesn't like this" is making a mountain out of half a grain of sand.

Lee

Better still, as trollacious implied, contact your web host/web server administrator about it.

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

from the day when there would be a server for the World Wide Web ( one or two for mail (mail, pop, smtp, imap) and a number of other servers on the domain, sharing a DNS. Now days most people, like your company, put there DNS to point to the webserver itself, so the machine with subdomain really there. The a virtual subdomain that forwards to the domain, and this was done because of people like your boss who got so used to using the www.

With the way your server is set up if someone types in either myUrl.com or ... so you catch more visitors. If your boss wants to limit visitors, that's his perogative and we can tell you how, but I thought the purpose of site is to have as many visitors (potential customers) seeing the site as possible.

I'm guessing this is Apache? If so look for your apache.conf and look for options about virtual subdomain and the term www. The conf file should have comments telling you how to edit the line. I'm guessing it should be as simple as switching a true for false, but it's been a while since I played with Apache's configuration.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

If anyone else has this problem it was fixed by switching the UseCanonical setting in the httpd.conf

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back