Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

www like MX records

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebase

MIS
Jan 7, 2004
US
Hello,

I would like to know how I can have multiple IP's point to the same server. For example I have a web server that has two separate lines in case one goes down and each line has a different IP. Is there something that can be done in the zone file similar to the MX records where if one doesn't get a response, it will try the next entry?

Thanks in advance.

There are no preferences in DNS for any records that will do that except for MX records. It’s the mail server that will move to the next preference if the lowest one is not reachable not. There are hardware products that will do what you want.

Thank you for your response. Would you happen to know of any names so I can look into them?

Thanks

You can have multiple DNS records for the same server. Have you tested the functionally of your webserver by requesting it by using the different ip addresses?

For DNS round robin you merely have 2 DNS records and it picks one at random. As for the other load balancing appliances they have intelligence that determines the load for you. In addition if your webserver is that important, why don't you have another web server and have them clustered?

Thank you for your response. I will look into those options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back