Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSUS templog.ldf getting too big

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenaz

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
US
Running Windows SBS 2003. Our WSUS templog.ldf file has grown to 5.6GB. I have the C drive at 20GB and we are running short on space. How do you reduce the size of it? I've Googled it and there seem to be various ways in WSUS, but is there a specific way to do it in SBS?

SQL is the same in SBS as it is other places. Chances are you've got the MSDE running in Full Recovery Mode and not Simple Recovery Mode, since normally Simple Recovery Mode doesn't allow the log to grow that large. Check out this KB for info on changing the mode:

To change the setting, you'd do this from the command-line:

osql -E -S [Server Name] -Q "ALTER DATABASE [Database Name] SET RECOVERY SIMPLE"

Your database name will be "server\WSUS" or something like that. You can find the name in the Services control panel if you look for it there, and you'd normally leave off the dollar sign in the name and append that to the server's name.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried your solution yet. I have moved the update files from our C drive to our E drive to free up some space. Now there is an error message:

Content file download failed. Reason: Error calling [kernel32.dll]:CreateDirectory(E:\WsusContent\WsusContent\48) Source File: Destination File: .

I made a folder yesterday E:/WsusContent. What is it telling me? Is it looking for E:\WsusContent\WsusContent\? How do I change that path? Or would it be easier to just move the files to E:\WsusContent\WsusContent\?

Yesterday when I was using WSUSutil to move the files, it kept failing because it couldn't find the path. Only once did it not fail and they were moved. Did I possibly mix something up there?

Thank,

Jim Allen

Dave,

I tried your solution of changing to Simple Recovery mode and after typing in the command at the command line I get the message: [DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access is denied.
[DBNETLIB]ConnetionOpen <Connect<>>.

My templog is now at just under 10GB and free space is less than 2GB. I need help soon.

Thanks,

Jim Allen

Dave, or anyone,

I just tried the command again and I think it might have worked. Now at the end of the line I get: usage: osql, and then the list of command variables.

Now I still need to shrink the ldf file right?

Jim

You know, templog.ldf isn't even a SQL database, so it's not that complicated. Try this:

Stop the WSUS services, stop the WSUS SQL instance, delete the tempdb files and restart. That should take care of things. It will regenerate that database, but it won't be as large.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Thanks Dave,

What you said has worked. The file is much smaller this morning. 321,088 KB. The next biggest file is the SUSDB.mdf. I don't suppose there's anything I can do about that one. It must be the database I'm guessing. it is just over 3 GB.

I think at this point everything is working. The updates that were scheduled seem to have been completed on all but one computer. Not sure why that one wasn't. It might have been shut down last night. I see there's a big update next. SP3.

Thanks again,

Jim

Hey ShackDaddy, I just had this problem overnight and I was prepared to stop the services and instance of MSSQL$WSUS then delete the 28 GB templog.ldf file as recommended, but after I stopped and started MSSQL$WSUS, the templog.ldf disappeared and then re-appeared as 512 kb and tempdb.mdf was 8192 KB. I did not have to delete anything! So that may work for others too. I just thought I'd share my delight in how easily and quickly I was able to resolve this with your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back