Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wss 3.0 read-only excel files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceriano

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2007
SE
Guys,

I'm adminstrating a WSS 3.0 site. I have a problem regarding Excel files opening in read-only mode.

This issue of mine is rather strange. Excel files in multiple document libraries can be opened (in edit mode) with
“Microsoft excel 2003 Pro”
“Microsoft excel 2007”

However, the clients affected have Microsoft Excel 2003 Standard version installed... The Excel files open but in read-only mode!

Any ideas for a workaround?

There is also a catch... I can't uppgrade/update the clients because my users work at other companies as consultats using their equipment.

Sharepoint interaction requires Office Professional. Users of Standard would have to save their copy back to the doc library manually.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Do you know if there is an article from Microsoft to confirm this?

It's been obfuscated by their need to market MOSS. Every link I've found in the discussion forums that explains the requirement redirects to the MOSS 2007 home page.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back