Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wss 3.0 deployment/setup advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
We have a SBS 2003 domain as the basis of our corporate network. We want to utilize SharePoint to communicate and centralize the sharing of company information for employees within the company and to create sites for external access to share info with clients, suppliers etc. I have been researching the deployment and authentication docs on the MS site but find it can get quite confusing, so I have so far come up with the following deployment solution:

I plan to have two servers running SharePoint WSS 3.0, one will be housed on a member server within our SBS domain to service employees or any users/groups setup in Active Directory. The second server will be situated in a DMZ and will service the suppliers and clients. Am I correct in thinking that I will be able to setup a trust relationship between the two servers so that the users on our internal SBS Domain will be able to authenticate on the server located in the DMZ? Also, would the DMZ server have to be setup as a domain server?

The main thinking behind this setup is cost saving on SBS 2003 CALS, separating user requirements and groups means that for the external access we will only purchase Windows Server Standard 2003 CALS. Unfortunately we are only a small company and the MOSS 2007 route is a little pricey for us at the moment.

Very grateful for any advice!

Nell

Search for a document on google called sharepoint server extranet topologies. It covers both WSS and MOSS.
We are in the same situation here and wondering what to do.

Seems to me that a lot can be self developed through ASP.NET even on WSS.

Hi quertyjj... thanks for the reply. I've done quite alot of research on this and come to the conclusion that there are alot of different configurations when setting up a WSS extranet... depending on whether you are running an SBS domain, generic Win 2003 domain, authentication protocols etc... All depends on budget, software versions, resource etc... What is your setup? maybe I can offer some assistance... pool resources?

Thanks again for reply.

Nell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back