Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

longlivegoku

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Here's the scenario:

Had a test server setup with SQL 2005 installed on it. Did a backup of our production WSS database and then moved the files to the test server with SQL. Did a restore on the test server of the databases, everything seemed fine. Installed WSS 2.0 on the server as a server farm so I could connect the SQL databases I had restored. Did the install/updates and connected to the config and the content databases locally on the server. Everything was working great. I was able to browse our websites via the production server and the test server. Now I decide I will run the in place upgrade of WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0, as that was the whole reason for setting this all up. (Keep in mind I had done this 4 months ago with no issues and was just doing a refresher, basically) So I start the upgrade and the production environment goes down. Can't access any sites at all. The test environment is up and running on WSS 3.0 at this point and seems fine but WSS 2.0 on our production server will not work. I'm not positive, but it seems the upgrade on the test server reached out and touched our production databases for some reason. I eventually restore from the previous night and get everything back and going, but I'm wondering, WTF happened? Anyone have any ideas how doing an upgrade in a test environment would cause our production server to go down? All it kept saying was Error 500 Internal Server Error.

Thanks,

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back