Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WSH write Chinese to SQLServer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexeloper

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
GB
I have a WSH vbscript that reads one SQLServer table and writes to another. Just one nvarchar column per table. Some of the 'from' data is in Chinese and a wscript.echo shows the Chinese values fine. However, when I write to the second table Chinese characters come out as '???????'.
This is, essentially, the code:

Code:
set impConn = Wscript.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
call impConn.Open("Provider=SQLOLEDB;charset=utf8;Data Source=S1;database=SQLS;User ID=a;Password=b")
set impRS = Wscript.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

call impRS.Open("select * from T1", impConn)
while not impRS.eof
	wscript.echo(impRS("title"))
	impConn.execute("insert into T2 (title) values('" & impRS("title") & "')")
	call impRS.MoveNext()
wend
call impRS.Close()

Any ideas gratefully accepted

Why first pull the full data and then insert the only title field into a new table?
Anyway: I recommend you simply do a "Select Into" query and let SQLServer handle the Chinese.
;-)

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

What I've shown is just a cutdown of a much bigger script. The point, I think, is that the 'read' brings in the Chinese fine but the 'write' doesn't. If I run an 'insert select' in SQLServer query analyser it works fine.

What happens if you do, as I rather suspect VBA's string concatentation:

wscript.echo "insert into T2 (title) values('" & impRS("title") & "')"

(or, more accurately, VBscripts inability to handle Unicode strings properly)

Hmm. Technically VBscript should mangle it the moment it retrieves it from the ADO object (ADO maintains the Unicode)

Ah, me dummy!
If I'm not very mistaken, you need to add the Unicode "N":
Code:
impConn.execute("insert into T2 (title) values([COLOR=#CC0000]N[/color]'" & impRS("title") & "')")

Cheers,
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

MakeItSo you're a bloody star. One in a million. Everything they say about you is lies. The crate of ale is in the post and the lobster sandwiches will follow shortly.
I WILL have a good weekend. Thanks again.

*munch*
Greatly appreciated, thanks!
[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back