Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wscript.exe Not Terminating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITtekkie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2005
SE
A bit of a wierd one this.. We have two identical servers, both running Windows 2000 (SP4).
If I run a vbscript via Scheduled Tasks, on one server Wscript.exe in Task Manager closes as the vbscript has executed... on the other server (identical O/S, identical vbscript etc) the instance of Wscript.exe remains in Task Manager after the script has ended.. whats going on??
This happens for every vbscript that is executed on that server - Wscript.exe is left behind in Task Manager.
It causes a real problem with overnight scheduled tasks because if there are more than two instances of Wscript.exe in Task Manager, the next script that comes along won't execute.
Any one else experienced this problem? - or, any one know how to solve it?

Is it only scheduled task? How does it behave when executed by normal/previleged users? Look for clue on the nonexistence of interactive... or shelling out cmd batch etc.

Hi Tsuji, No -it's not just scheduled tasks where this happens.. it happens when the script is run interactively too. It also does not matter who runs the script - administrator, privelidged user, user - the result is the same.
I have emailed Microsoft on this as well, but so far no response from them.

By nonexistence of interactive I meant the script should not contain any user interactive part, otherwise who would be there to interact with the script?

Also the script can hang for a lot of reasons, not necessary depending on the winxxxx and spxx.

Check timeout setting of the default action on vbs. Maybe the script would fail on both systems but one has a //T:nn setting and it would quit at time out reached.

The script does not contain any user interactive part(s).. plus, as I mentioned in my original post.. this happens with any script run on that server, not just one particular script.
There are no //T:nn parameters used when executing scripts (I have also tried using this timeout feature but with the same results.. Wscript.exe remains in Task Mananger after the script has ended)

how do you know the script has ended?
have you tried to reinstall wsh?
have you tried running it with cscript.exe rather than wscript.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back