Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ws-c3550-24 support subinterfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

cammy

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Hi

Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether the C3550-24 running the EMI image can support subinterfaces in the form int fa0/1.1 ?

I can't get it working but this chap seems to have:

Thanks

Cammy

I'd have to see it to believe it.
The 3500 is a switch. It doesn't use subinterfaces, it uses SVIs, as per my config example in the thread you've referenced.

As per vincewhirlwind....I would like to see that be achieved...... He either got the name of the device wrong or maybe he super glued a little port next to the other port and called it a subint (Thats just a bad try at humour....apologies)....

Thanks

If the thread wasn't closed I'd mark it as inappropriate. :)

I've wasted time trying to get it working that way.

So what is the difference between the ports on layer 3 switches that you can create subinterfaces on some and not others?

ie c3550-24-emi & WS-C3750G-24T

Thanks

Cammy

Routers have routed interfaces. These interfaces support sub-interfaces. Sub-interfaces are required to create an 802.1q trunk.

Switches have interfaces that can be configured as either switched or routed interfaces. Routed interfaces do not support sub-interfaces. To create an 802.1q trunk, you configure the port as a switched interface and associate it with VLANs which have VLAN interfaces associated with them.

You seem to be implying that 3750s have routed ports that support sub-interfaces. Unless you have some very special code running your 3750, this is false.
Switch routed interfaces do not support sub-interfaces.

Possibly supports subinterfaces but not vlan subinterfaces?

Code:
Router#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPSERVICES-M), Version 12.2(25)SEB4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 30-Aug-05 15:47 by yenanh

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3750 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C3750 Boot Loader (C3750-HBOOT-M) Version 12.1(11r)AX, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 year, 15 weeks, 2 days, 5 hours, 24 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c3750-ipservices-mz.122-25.SEB4/c3750-ipservices-mz.122-25.SEB4.bin"

Code:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/9
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/9.1
 ip access-group 1 in

Ah, I see the distinction. So what is the purpose of your switchport subinterfaces? Something like private VLANs?

It's worth pointing out that the switchport you're displaying is not a routed interface.

Hi

I'm not sure what the subinterfaces would be used for on the 3750. They won't accept the ip address command, so as you say, not routed interfaces.

Cammy, in order to make a port routed, you'd have to tell it to not be a switchport.
After that you can make it a routed port, and put subintertfaces on as well if you like.
Providing you have the right IOS:
On a 3750 with IPbase image:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
no switchport
ip address 5.6.7.8 255.255.255.0 secondary
ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0

telcoguy - secondary IP addresses are completely different to sub-interfaces. Secondary IP addresses are a workaround for badly designed networks where you want to have have multiple IP networks/subnets on the same physical layer-2 network (broadcast domain). Sub-interfaces are separate logical interfaces that the router treats as completely separate entities.
Although it *appears* in some IOS versions you can create sub-interfaces on the fixed config layer-3 switches (3550, 3560 & 3750) they are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back