Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRV54G blinking power led

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackrabbit

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2002
US
This is my second WRV54G, the first one died a few years ago. I didn't have it on a surge protector and I think the thunderstorm killed it. Lynksys sent me a new one though and now a few years later I'm having problems AGAIN!

My WRV54G is running firmware 2.39.4e (I think thats the one, it came out in April of this year, I may have the version number wrong but its the on that came out in April)

I upgradted the firmware because I thought it would fix some issues I've been having.

I have the router on a surge proctector/ups.

What us happeneing is from time to time the wireless will just sort of turn off, sort off. My sons computers in thier rooms will no longer see the wireless even though my wireless print server works fine. When this happens the wireless light turns amber. The only fix is a reboot of the router.

My other issue is that every now and then my power led just starts blinking and I can no longer communicate with it. A reboot fixes this as well. When the first router died the power led just blinked all the time so when it happens now I get nervous waiting for it to reboot.

Linksys's website said a blinking power led means hosed firmware, yet a reboot fixes mine for a while.

My questions are

1. What could be causing the issue where the wireless lights turns amber and some pc's can't communicate but some can?

2. What is causing the router to just freak out and just flash until I reboot?

3. Since a reboot fixes the issue I am wondering could it be over heating? My room gets very hot during the day PLUS that part of the room gets very dusty. Could the heat in my room and maybe dusting collecting in the router be causing the issue? When I get home tonight I will move the router a bit and try and blow out any dust.

I don't want to have to buy another router so I'm hoping for over heating over fried router.

blackrabbit,

YES, heat can kill electronic devices like routers and switches - a Linksys router is a little LINUX computer with a CPU and most/all Linksys routers DO NOT have fans to keep them cool like my Cisco 2651XM router. They rely on the design to keep them cool and if it is in a HOT room that is not a good thing :-(

Dust is also a bad thing because it will block the air flow that is designed into these things! And if has gotten inside and "caked" the mother board with dust bunnies - even more heat will build up because of the poor air flow!!!

Heat will kill almost any electronic device - try to move it to a cool room with lots of good air flow around it. Also make sure it is clean and dust free!

Then see if it continues to act up - based on your saying "HOT ROOM" it might already be "toast" these things do not last forever in a perfect area much less one as described by you :)

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks. Hopefully its not fried just yet. I live in Phoenix and my room faces the afternoon son so it gets very warm in there. I'll clean up that area tonight and blow out the router as best I can wil some compressed air.

Well I think its a over heating problem. I made some changes to my network equipment area to increase airflow and blew out the router. My God was that router hot, it was too hot to touch, hopefully it didn't get fried. I repositioned it and after using the compressed air on it, it cooled down really fast. I think I'll be ok now as long as it doesn't get that hot again. I hope I didn't damage it. Its been running fine all night, we'll see how it does today when its 110 degress in Phoenix.

blackrabbit,

That should do it if it is not damaged already - I have had several Linksys routers prior to the Cisco router and they NEVER were so hot that you could not touch them - they get warm but not HOT.

I am in Florida where it can get hot also - not as hot as you but humid hot!!

I have one of those little desk fans that I have used to keep the air moving around the back of my computers when it is really warm.

Good air flow is the key!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Yeah i think it was just air flow really, too much equipment in too small a space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back