Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G w/ LucidLink security software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWM

MIS
Aug 9, 2001
Anyone have any happy experiences using LucidLink's ( 802.1x security software? It won Best of Show at WiFi Planet last year and promised "one-click connect" with radius security.

But I have had only intermittant success with it--mainly compatibility issues as most hardware is only starting to support 802.1x level security. Nomenclature is a major hinderance; even Linksys products vary their terminology for security settings from one product to another. And specific firmware implementation is another unknown.

Very confusing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MWM

I was able to get it to work using my LinkSys WRT54G v2.0 Router and WMP54G wireless network adapters.

The one thing I did not like about it (and ended up with me uninstalling it) was the fact that it only provides user authentication, not machine authentication.

In other words, if nobody is logged onto the PC, there is NO network connection to that PC.

I remote into my Home PC from various locations alot and need that network connection to the PC always on.

Good Product though. According to their Sales team, Machine Authentication is coming out in Early October.

Joshua

Right. This sort of security will, I am sure, be standard soon, with all these sorts of annoyances worked out.

I also found that a dropped connection--happens with wireless--requires that the admin (at the server machine) log the user out so he can log back in. In other words, the connection cannot be reestablished without admin intervention.

It will all be fixed some day soon, I am sure.

I did try WSC's version, which is now branded by Linksys and products are now coming out thru McAfee, who bought them recently. WSC actually works for me.

MWM

I saw the linksys and WSC version as well, but its subscription based (per month / per user).

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back