Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G Serving Up Bad IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrStephen

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2003
US
...this one's driving me crazy...

Everything was working fine on my home network...multiple workstations/laptops...DHCP was handing out appropriate IP addresses (192.168.1.xxx)...

Safeboot was recently installed on my work laptop (Dell Latitude D630). Active Directory was also put into the equation somewhere. Since that time, I can't get any connectivity with my home network. Other PCs are still working fine. The laptop apparently sees the router just fine (speed is 54.0; signal is 'excellent), but there is 'little or no connectivity', no doubt owing to an acquired IP address of 169.254.249.85 . I have no idea where that address is coming from.

Last week I tried to enter a static IP address with no joy. Same issue when I hardwired into the router.

...I would be very impressed if someone can figure out what's happening here.

Thanks.

That ip address, is just a default address Windows assumes when it isn't assigned an address via dhcp. Is it a company laptop you are connecting to your home network?

i have one that does the same thing, after a config/all i see it is the wireless card in my pc, so i just don't let the Belken software control my connection (works fine now but on start up it does take a little longer to aquire the 192.168 one)

It is a company PC -- which worked fine on my home network prior to Safeboot/Active Directory...also, we've been able to access other non-work networks (e.g., at Starbucks)...

mine was doing the same, it would occationaly go to the 169...
if i powered down the router it would come back to the 192..

...but you're forgetting (actually, I forgot to mention) that, while my work laptop is getting a bogus IP address, the other workstations and laptops accessing my home network are acquiring correct addresses...

same here the cat5 stuff to router was never effected

When the computer can't get a DHCP-address from a DHCP-server
it will assign one to itself from the 169.254.x.x address range.
Microsoft referes to this as APIPA.

Something is stopping the computer from getting IP from your router.
This can be policy-based or a configuation problem (among other).

Have you tried getting an IP lease from the commandline?
Code:
ipconfig /release
followed by
Code:
ipconfig /renew
Just to se what happens?

In rereading you original post, you mention everything was working OK until you installed some software. What do you think the chances are that what you installed, or something Windoz did in relation to the install, may have caused or changed some important parameter(s) that renders your computer unable to get an IP assignment?

So in the process the laptop will assign a default IP in order to attempt to communicate on the LAN.

Did you try assigning a Static IP?

If nothing was changed in the router, I doubt that it is at fault. I think you have some troubleshooting to do with the laptop.

....JIM....

Syquest

Have you tried bypassing the router entirely?

If the laptop connects correctly, there may be a conflict between your router and Safeboot (this is apparently a VPN and encryption utility) or the Active Directory settings added to your laptop (which I assume is a company machine). Ask the IT people who changed your laptop's configuration about possible conflicts between the new software packages and the router.

If the laptop doesn't connect, talk to the people who set up your laptop, because the setup changes are messing up the connection.

I don't think a static IP will help. Routers usually assign addresses via DHCP.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back