Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G / NTL (co-ax router)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley1

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
I have a friend currently using NTL Home 100 with their co-ax router (looks like NTL Home100 is the name of the router) and they wanted to get wireless. They have bought a WRT54G, but it doesn't have the coax connection. What would be the best router (I prefer Linksys) to get to replace the old one? I was reaning around and people were saying it shouldn't be an adsl modem (or the functionality must be swiched off). The ad's all say that the WRT54G is compatible for NTL - obviously not if they haven't got a co-ax connection!!!

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

M.

Mutley,

I am not familiar with NTL or NTL Home 100 but there is a lot of information on the web. I believe that Linksys router does not replace the NTL, as it (Linksys) is not a modem.

The pictures I have seen shows the NTL to be a router/modem, which can probably be cascaded with the Linksys. This would be done by using either the WAN output of the Linksys or simply one of the ports and connecting to the modem.

Cascading routers is almost never supported, especially when you mix brands. I would get the Linksys configured with the wireless NIC BEFORE plugging it into the NTL. I would access the router through the client PC's browser (see manual) and enable the wireles security, then DISABLE DHCP on the Linksys.

Next, plug the Linksys WAN output into one of the ports of the NTL. NOTE: if the NTL does NOT have more than one port, do not disable DHCP in Linksys. Unplug them both. Plug in the modem first, then the router, then turn on the PC. If it does not work try using one of the Linksys' ports instead of the WAN.

If all else fails, call your NTL rep.

Best of luck!

Tony

I am in the UK, also I am using NTL, I presume the cable setup is similar to mine which is non ADSL type as it gets it signal through the cable and not the telephone line.

Mine is the latest NTL cable modem (small black box) supplied by them, the NTL "cable" goes into this box and not to the router, then an ethernet patch cable takes the signal to the uplink on the router and then from the router either "wired" to each PC or wireless, although this requires the PC's to have wireless cards.

As the modem and router are next to my main PC it makes sense to have the connection to my main PC "hard wired" and wireless to the other PC's in the house.

I'm using a Netgear WGT634U which has wireless and hardwire ports.

So, in brief, you keep NTL's cable modem and purchase a cable router (not ADSL) the cable wire still goes to the modem, the modem links to the routers uplink via an ethernet cable.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Connect by ethernet cable directly to the Linksys WRT54G.
Disable the DHCP server.
Set your wireless security settings -- SSID, WEP or WAP keys, etc.

Save settings.

Now connect from the Uplink of the Linksys to a regular LAN ethernet port on your existing NTL router.

Power off modem, NTL router, Linksys, all computers.

Power on modem, NTL router, Linksys, workstations.

Done.

Thanks peeps, worked it out in the end.....was a bit of a silly question looking back but accept my apologies as I am not network oriented in the slightest!

Cheers,

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back