Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G dropping Wireless Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreddnews

Technical User
Nov 17, 2002
US
I have this very random and unexpected dropping of my wireless connections with my WRT54G. The wired switch part functions as normal with no problems since it uplinks to another routher with other computers attached.

But I have a wireless bridge for PS2 and a wireless-G laptop adapter that uses the wireless function and it just randomly kicks them both out. It happened last night while I was browsing online and didn't come back on till this morning when I woke up and looked at it. I have tried resetting the router and that does no good. I have the newest firmware on it

Has anyone heard of this? It is very annoying and I will probably return the product as defective if I can't figure it out soon. I used to have the old 802.11b wireless router and never had one issue. Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Several things to try:

1. Change channels. What you describe is a classic case of interference. Try 11 or 1.

2. Make certain 802.1b authentication is disabled on the client.

3. Make sure your SSID is something other than "linksys"

4. Make sure DHCP is disabled on the other router, and that it is in router and not Gateway mode.

5. See WPA issues in this thread:

Dreddnews,

Hi there! I would agree with Bcastner's suggestion in changing the channel to either 11 or 1 and also the SSID; nevertherless, the link provided is "VERY" inappropriate since it happens to both computer and PS2. Besides if your running different operating system try using this thread instead might be helpful: thread916-620658.

Check on your laptop if you're using a Texas Cardbus Controller, if ever you have one, replace it back to WPC11 Version 3 or Version 4. Linksys have certain issues with this card, and even the beta version in the site wouldn't provide much of a solution 'coz had clients before and tried the driver still won't work, But there are cases that the driver would work for awhile. Linksys doesn't provide money back guarantee.

Relocate your access point to a centralized location. If you're using XP and 2000, you could change the channel of the card to operate at the same channel as what you're router is, and that would be on the properties of your device under advance tab. It would be IDSS Channel or Channel, try changing it to channel 11 or 1, same settings as your router is.

If everything fails, replace the router already.

Shocker:

"the link provided is "VERY" inappropriate since it happens to both computer and PS2."

It may not apply to a WET11, but it certainly is appropriate to the WPC54G the gentleman is using, and it certainly does not merit you shouting.

Your discussion of the WPC11 in this thread makes no sense as he does not have one.

bcastner,

Well with all due apologies, the gentleman didn't mentioned using WinXp in any of the problem. Better correct me if he has mentioned in the earlier statement.

What I have given is my opinion in using different operating system and different options. Please let us not be conclusive on matters.

Thanks

Dear Ma'ams and Sirs,

My new WRT54G has been on for a few days. I was sitting at the link, and then suddenly I lost signal.

Going upstairs to hit the reset button on the router did not help. I had to power down the router, and I rebooted the Master Computer (hard wired) too. Then the signal came back.

(I guess there was no value in rebooting the computer...)

Once, I removed an antenna from the router (such as I used to do to spiders), and the router stopped transmitting (such as used to happen to the spiders). Router continued working with the Master Computer. Re-attaching the antenna was not sufficient; I had to hit the reset button, which successfully got the RF (radio fignal) flowing to the link, again.

Spider didn't have a reset button.

Questions:

Why are Channels 1 and 11 preferable? I assume the microwave ovens are centered in the middle of, and are making noise all over Channels 2 through 10?

Also, the radio fignal (RF) is supposed to be Spread Spectrum. Yet, the Channel Numbers imply a single, discrete frequency. Isn't that a contradiction? I would have assumed the signal would be spread across the 11 channels, yet I am asked to choose only one...

How does interference contribute to the modem crashing? If interference slows communications to a crawl, the modem should be happy not to have to work so hard...

How does using "linksys" as an SSID contribute to the modem crashing? I changed my SSID to my street address, so if my neighbor activates a new Wi-Fi some day, they can more easily figure out what the heck's going on if they pick up my signal. But using "linksys" for an SSID causing instability? Is that an authentic function?

How does enabling DHCP contribute to the modem crashing? Been looking around DHCP. My router is using the function to assign IP addresses to the connected computers. Will anything work if I disable this function? and how does it contribute to instability? Also, can't find the function to select Router vs. Gateway.

Many questions. Do it later, at your convenience.

Thanks,
-Neil-

Why prefer 1 or 11:

In telecommunications there are actually two standards: one is known as standard by jurisdiction and standard set internationally. 802.11b is an IEEE standard set internationally. Meaning that there are lots of frequencies using that spectrum, even wireless phone uses that standard. We choose either 11 to 1 because of extremes, because there are other systems that eventhough they are running 2.4GHz there are some instances that they would eat much of the spectrum such as not only using 2.4GHz but also go in as much as 2.406Ghz or more! these are common issues in telecommunication, that there are certain times that it will go beyond the frequencies provided due to noises caused internally by the system, either digital or analog. Intenal noise maybe thermal, shot noise, etc. But still you could use those channels. In short, they are only used to prevent further interference caused by other systems.

Second Question:

Channels imply a single frequency because they are normally referred to as Center Frequencies. In telecommunication, the Center Frequencies would have to be 6KHz apart from each other. You could test that in your radio or Televisioon using arial connection. There are also formulas in computation of these frequencies but one thing you could use to compute is by the use of Forrier Series. (I'm sure that 6KHz should be the spacing between central frequencies, but let'me chack also to verify 'coz the router has 5KHz)

Third Question:

The SSID pertains to the wireless network name, it doesn't contribute to crashing of modems. It is highly recommended that you change your SSID to any other name so that if your neighbor would have a linksys access point you wouldn't know where you'll be connecting. Either you see your connection from there's or yours since it will connect to the best signal available under the same SSID.

Last Question:

DHCP does contribute to modem crashing. DHCP provides IP Addressing and DNS assigning to your computers. You can disable DHCP, but make sure that you assign a static IP Address and DNS to all of your computers. DHCP just eliminates the bulkness of assigning an IP Address to all your computer. Note for you to connect to the internet you should follow the 7 OSI Layers. TCP/IP is just a protocol that would allow you to connect from one layer to another.

For more questions just ask.

nei1,

Q1. Why are Channels 1 and 11 preferable? I assume the microwave ovens are centered in the middle of, and are making noise all over Channels 2 through 10? <snip>

A. First, a good picture of the channels:
Microwaves are fairly narrowly centered on the frequency of the Brownian motion of water at 2444 mhz. (Which would bother 7-9 the most). Phones and other Spread Spectrum devices have two issues: they are channel specific while on standby, although most use channels between 2 and 10; and when in spread spectrum mode while being used can cause problems from their proximity as well as their use of a spread of channels.

And not all are alike in how much of a problem they cause.

And to further complicate things, the FCC has limits on the output power by channel, they are not identical; you want to pick channels that allow some room for additional access points in the future; and nearly all wireless routers come with a Factory default setting of Channel 6, so it quickly becomes &quot;crowded.&quot;

Channels 1 and 11 for all of these considerations has shown for the moment the least troublesome. If everybody starts defaulting to 11, I guess I will have to start recommending another channel. There is more practical advice in the recommendation than any other factor.

Q2. How does interference contribute to the modem crashing? If interference slows communications to a crawl, the modem should be happy not to have to work so hard...

Interference has nothing to do with the modem.

Q3. How does using &quot;linksys&quot; as an SSID contribute to the modem crashing? <snip>
A. Again, nothing to do with the modem. You were asking about instability later in a general sense. The War Driving community has surveys that show approximately 80 percent of wireless routers and access points are using the manufacturer's default SSID.

There are not only good security principles at work in changing the default SSID, but it confuses the heck out of client adapters as they feel compelled to &quot;roam&quot; these points of presence. In high density (in a wireless sense) areas the adapter can become nearly completely pre-occupied with comparative sampling of access points. High end, and increasingly SOHO routers offer the feature to reduce output power on the access point to help prevent coverage overlap and consequent adapter association confusion.

Q3. How does enabling DHCP contribute to the modem crashing? It doesn't. There are usually two seperate processes of DHCP discovery going on:

A. The WAN side of the router often is set to use DHCP to discover an IP from the ISP. Most of the SOHO class router DHCP problems with router firmware are due to failures on this side of the router; in particular, renewing an IP lease when the original expires. There are some router firmwares that fail on the LAN side with lease renewal to the clients, although this is less common. And of course, there is at least one Linksys router (not the WRT54G) that is fairly famous for failing at both DHCP sides in lease renewal. But the modem could care less.

In general the DHCP service is sufficient and reliable on these routers. There are some features I wish they had, such as IP reservation, but you cannot have everything.

Q4. Been looking around DHCP. My router is using the function to assign IP addresses to the connected computers. Will anything work if I disable this function? and how does it contribute to instability? Also, can't find the function to select Router vs. Gateway.

A. The Gateway/Router choice is under Advanced, DNS on your router. For small networks DHCP is a convenience, it is easy enough to just use static IPs. If you have special Port Forwarding needs, it ensures that over time your forwards will go to the right machine. There are several wireless adapters, and their driver software, were from experience people have learned it more reliable to use static ips. I know of no issue with the WRT54G with DHCP on the LAN side, but I also know that there are several 802.11b adapters that just work better set to static IPs than dynamic ones obtained from the router.

My correction DHCP doesn't contribute anything to modem crashing. Only power outages would contribute to modem crashing!

I've changed channels and now it is even more random with its dropping my connections.

I've tried both 1 and 11. I live in a small apartment building, so how can my spectrum get crowded? Why would this new wireless router have some many troubles, when my old Linksys 802.11b router had none from the same location?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I have a flakey router that just needs to be returned.

No DHCP is running nor is it a gateway. I just don't see what could cause any interference in my computer room when that is the only wireless device in there. What do you think?

Part of the problem is that you are in a mixed mode setting. You 802.11b bridge device (WET11 ?) is going to cause you problems.

1. Upgrade the firmware if you not yet on the WRT54G. The newest version is 7/13/2003 WRT54G_1.30.7_US_code.exe. (Use the .exe version and not the .bin). You can download it from here: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

2. Check your settings before the upgrade. You will lose them. After the upgrade to a looooong reset of the router by holding the reset button until the red diag light comes on, all the lights flash, and the red diag lite goes off. The unplug the router. Wait 30 seconds and repower the router. Restore your settings.

3. Make sure on the wireless setup for the router you leave it in Mixed Mode.

4. Remember if you change the channel on the router you need to changes these settings on the wireless bridge device and on your wireless adapter card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back