Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wrt54g as an access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCOELHO

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
US
Hey everyone,
I have a question. I have two computers and a laptop at home. One downstairs and one upstairs. I heard that you can hook up two WRT54G routers together and one can act like an access point. So i hooked it up. I made sure to turn off DHCP on the upstairs router. Well all is well except that now it seems that my internet connection is so slow. Even if i have the other computer off and i am using only one computer on the network. Is there any way to remedy this. Is there a setting im missing?
Any help please. Thank you!

One more thing i went to broudband reports and ran the test
2707/233 without setting up the two routers
795/235 with the router hooked up and only one computer on the network.
=(

Connect directly to your computer the WRT54G you intend to use as an Access Point.

. disable DHCP as you discussed;
. give the device a static IP outside of the DHCP scope of the first router; if using defaults, try 192.168.1.3 if you are sure no other device has been given this static IP;
. set the device mode from its default of "Gateway" to "Router"
. Set a different channel number than router #1 (space the channels. If router #1 is at Channel 1, router #2 should use Channel #6 or #11), same SSID, and same WEP or WPA settings.

Now run a patch cable from router #1 to router/AP #2. Use the uplink port of router #1 to a regular LAN port (not the WAN port) of router #2.

Done. See, for a guide:

thank you ive followed the quide but it said nothing about the gateway to router

sorry so many posts. But i also dont have an uplink port

thanks bcaster I followed everything but one question
I dont have an uplink port on either of my routers. I have a straight throgh network cable from on port to another. Both computers can access the internet. Should i change it to a crossover?

Ok i created a cross over and now it doesnt work. Im confused. For some reason the stright through worked but not the crossover. Im just using the regular ports on the router.

You have one of the newer WRT54G models that can autosense the cable. You do not need a cross-over cable.

The Gateway vs. Router setting is there as an option, (I forget exactly where, either under the DNS or Routing tabs) but it is a formality. You are not using the WAN port so it does not have any real meaning in your context.

You know have setup the WRT54G as an access point.

Hi!
I was just was wondering can this be done with any other router (turning router into AP), I just purchased Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router v5.
Thank you.

Thank you bcastner for quick response.
I will try that as soon as I get the second router(it's on the way).
Now I have a different question, I hope someone can help me.
My neighbor has a wireless network(it comes up as linksys-g) that I’m able to tap into with Motorola WN825G wireless card in my laptop. Unfortunately I have to be outside to get enough signals. I ran Ethernet wire through the wall to my wired router to get it to my PC. But again my laptop has to stay outside.

I just purchased Netgear WGR614 G wireless router (and am getting another one) and was wondering if I have the router outside would it pick up neighbor’s network and then I could connect to my router with my laptop and get Internet inside my house.

If that won’t work than what should I invest in to boost signal inside my house? Antenna? , Repeater? , Access Point?
Or what kind of setup would you suggest.

I have two wired routers (they are only T10base, pretty slow but it’s sufficient) and will have two wireless routers Netgear plus wireless card in my laptop.
If someone can help me I’d appreciate it.
Thank you.

You ought to ask the ISP or the neighbour who's signal you're trying to steal to help you. Theft is theft and shouldn't be supported on any public forum.

First of all I'm NOT stealing anybody's signal, the neighbor is a friend of mine and he is not an expert, he just have a wireless network and lets me tap in.
I was just wondering how to get better signal .
Thank you.

I have done as above, I have recently changed to voip with vonage.com and then sent me a linksys broadband router with 2 voice ports. I was using a WRT54G linksys router before, as my pc is upstairs and the walls are led lined so cabling isnt an option. The internet and voice works fine, however I am having trouble seting up port forwarding. I have Telnet port forward and HTTP. I have set the voice router to forward to the wireless and wireless to the destination however this doesnt work.

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back