Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRT54G and Dial-up internet connection. Sharing possible? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierogrammate

Technical User
Oct 12, 2003
PR
Hi:
I bought a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G Notebook Adapter (WPC55AG) and a Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G). I don't have cable modem or DSL, only a 56k dial-up modem, though I plan to install cable modem later. In the meantime I connected my PC's D-Link DFE-530TX LAN card to the LAN port of the Linksys router so I could connect wirelessly with my notebook. (I normally use a crossover cable for that.)

Is it possible to share the dial-up modem internet connection on my PC with the notebook using the wireless router?

I'm running WinXP Pro with the SP1 patch on both machines. The A+G Notebook Adapter has the latest drivers. The WPC55AG router has the factory default configuration, and Firmware v1.02.1 (I believe there is a new firmware driver, but I don't want to touch that unless absolutely necessary).

Edwin

Hmm, I guess an issue similar to this one has already been adressed:

thread916-709070 is there a way around that "limitation"? Is there absolutely NO way for me to share the dial-up connection with my laptop wirelessly with the WRT54G?

Yes. I am not enthusiastic, but manarth and other forum members swear it works.

You need to add a PCMCIA adapter to your computer in addition to the wireless adapter.

You will use ICS on the workstation client to provide the services.

So, enable ICS, see Steve Winograd's step-by-step instructions here:
The least confusing way to view this, is that you now have two routers: ICS and your wirless router/AP. You then treat the linksys as you would any other two router setup. Tom's Hardware site provides a very clear explanation of the rest of the process:
I hope you have been good this year, and Santa brings you a broadband connection for Christmas.

Thanks bcastner... I appreciate your help. I'll give a good look at those links, since I want to learn as much as possible from this experience.

I felt so frustrated by my ignorance that I decided to move my butt and try again searching the web. I eventually found this interesting post at the TechIMO forums (which deals with a problem that's almost identical to mine):

They suggest the use of proxy servers. I downloaded AnalogX's Proxy app here:

Installed it, configured IE on the laptop to look for the proxy server as instructed in the app's README, and voila, got wireless internet access from my any machine connected to the WLAN.

The funny thing is that most of these networking things are still too esoteric for me, and I don't like that. I guess it's time for me to find a good book on the subject and learn, so I don't have to bother you guys so often. :)

Regards,

Ed

The AnalogueX is a reasonable proxy. And you cannot beat the price.

My only issue with it as an alternative to XP is there is no way to create a service entry for port forwarding.

But you are absolutely correct in thinking this is a solid solution. See other freeware utilities on the AnaolgueX site, he does an excellent job.

But to go from proxy server, ICS or AnalogueX, to the router issue is your next step. The links above deserve some careful reading.

If any issues raise themselves up and bite you, post again.

Best,
Bill Castner

Yes you could share internet connection on the device provided that the router would be acting as s switch rather than as a router. You would need to configure the router in this manner: Change the mode to router, Change LAN IP Address to 192.168.0.254, and disable DHCP on the router. The connection would be:

Dial-up modem--Computer--Router))((Laptop

Having this configuration it would allow you to share internet connection; however, you would need a third party software or enable Window's ICS for you to share internet connection. The computer connected to the modem would be your DHCP server assigning IP Address to your computer in such as 192.168.0.1. This is also possible provided that the computer connected to the modem has an ethernet adapter to connect the router.

bcastner:
yes, I had a feeling that, although he proxy app works like a charm, it is more a way for me to avoid messing with the router. Rest assured I will study the links you provided carefully, and learn how to deal with the issue without using the app (maybe then I will stop wincing when I read stuff like creating "a service entry for port forwarding" as you say... I hate being network illiterate :p).

shocker1:
Once I read how to enable WinXP's ICS (in the link bcastner provided) I'll give that a try. And, yes, my PC (the one with the dial-up modem) is connected physically to a LAN port of the Linksys router.

I really appreciate your help, guys. If I bang my head against a wall, I'll post again.

Regards,

Edwin

Edwin,

If it works with AnalogueX, there is absolutely no reason to change it.

bcastner:
probably not :), but I will still read the Practicallynetworked.com and Tom's Hardware articles to learn what else I could have done.

Hi, I was searching online and got here. I'm having the same problem. I also trying to run WRT54G and dial-up (56k) plus ICS. One solution to this is to disable DHCP but I'm looking for any answers that I can enable DHCP and share the connection.
my diagram is follow:
PC1 (has modem connection): IP-192.168.1.100,255.255.255.0
Laptop (has wireless b): IP-192.168.1.101
Router: 192.168.1.1

cat5 from pc1 connected to the LAN ports of the router.

on Laptop TCP/IP, it has "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "DNS server address automatically" and I can't type anything on the gateway address.

any idea? i'm confused..

ok, now I disabled DHCP on the router (192.168.1.1).
I set PC1(which has modem and ICS) as 192.168.1.100 and
Laptop as 192.168.1.101. They were working fine untill I reboot the PC1. After that, The laptop can't access internet and also none of PC can access router ip (192.168.1.1)?? I'm confused more.

I guess I'll try to set up the proxy (AnalogueX) on pc1.

1. Stay away from static IPs on Linksys routers in the range 192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.149

I know you disabled DHCP, but you have a lot of other IPs to pick from for static IPs.

2. There are some subtle tricks to using ICS with static IPs; TCP/IP properties, Advanced, DNS requires dynamic registration, the Workgroup name needs to be adjusted, etc..

3. On a similar vein:

4. If possible, leave the ICS HOST machine on 24-7, it makes your life easier.

OK - shocker1's post helped me connect my two desktops to share dial up internet, by changing the router's LAN IP address to 192.168.0.254 and disabling DHCP, but now I cannot get my laptop to access the network at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back