Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong runtime DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyT

Programmer
Nov 15, 2000
US
I have a old application that was written in VB3. My system crashed when trying to install "WINDOWS ME". I was unable to continue or uninstall. I reinstalled my old WIN98. VB3 wouldn't run until I coppied all the .VBX and .DLL from a backup. Now if I compile this old application in VB3 it compiles with no errors but if I try to run the .EXE, I get an error that I am running the wrong runtime .DLL. I think it is refering to VBRUN300.DLL but it must be refering to something else as I have copied this to the \windows\system folder from several differnt sources with the same result. HELP! HELP! I need this by monday morning and I have some third party software included that is not compatiable with VB6.

If a copy of an executable is running on your computer, and you try to create a new executable with the same name, you'll receive this error:

Wrong version of runtime DLL.

The Visual Basic error occurs because VBRUN300.DLL tries to open the .EXE file and read resources out of it. But the .EXE file you're reading from is different from the .EXE file that is actually running (because you did a 'Make EXE' over the old one), so VBRUN300 has problems. It signals with the "Wrong version of run-time DLL" error. It reports this error because it is under the assumption that because it could not read the .EXE file, it doesn't have the correct version of VBRUN needed to execute that .EXE file.

To work around the problem, either rename the .EXE when you create a new executable, or exit from the executable that is currently running.

Eric De Decker
vbg.be@vbgroup.nl

Licence And Copy Protection AxtiveX.

Download Demo version on my Site:
Promotions before 02/28/2001 (free source codebook),visite my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back