Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wrong DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim2002

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2002
US
My DHCP server was down this morning. When computers tried to get an IP they were forwarded throught our router to some other DHCP server.

Now that i have mine back up, they are still goign to that other dhcp server.

How do i get them to switch back to our DHCP server.

Have also had this problem moving laptops from home to work, again not allowing the switching of DCHP servers.

Thanks
Tim

You can block your router for broadband requests (by default this is blocked) or you can temporarily shut down the DHCP relay.

Turns out one user insists on having a MAC.

In my servers event viewer says another DHCP server exists and DHCP has shut down.

Now i have to figure out how to stop the DHCP service on the MAC. He has no idea what im talking about.

It seems like a computer for kids, theres no control anywhere I can find to look at services running.

Anyone have any Ideas

Tim
CT Info Serv

Well, if that MAC is playing DHCP server, shut it down, and while shut down, restart all others to force them back to the 'real' DHCP Server.
You could (nicely) ask that person to get he MAC work properly BEFORE letting it back on the network. If that person does not know how, it stays off it, there is no excuse for that, your network stability come before his/her 'wishes'.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Thanks for the replies, i have the machine off the network. All the machines are working.

I posted in the mac forum also, not responce there.

Hey Marc does F1 work on a mac??? lol Man i would hate to have to work on one of those all day, but i guess its what your use to.

Thanks again guys
I will await an answer from the Mac people

Tim
CT Info Serv

No idea about the F1 key actually, but I hate those Macs too!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

What Mac operating system? OS X (10.2.x? 10.3.x)? Is the OS server or client?

Does that matter?
But I would doubt a 'Client' would be a DHCP server!

Marc
[/sub]

i dont know the version other than 10, and that he called it panther. It is a client, and he enabled a web server system.

Ill get more info tomorrow...

i still have no word from the mac forum?????

thanks again
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back