Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrong Calculation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TariqMehmod

Programmer
Mar 4, 2004
PK
Sir while using SQLSERVER 2012 I have these codes

[pre]
select top 1 reading,emp_start,emp_end from bin1_final order by date

SELECT top 1 reading,(datediff(second,emp_start,emp_end)) as x, 3600 as y from bin1_final

SELECT top 1 (reading/(datediff(second,emp_start,emp_end))*3600) as y from bin1_final
[/pre]

The result looks like this

x_ae4piq.png

Please help

Possibly because TOP without an Order By clause returns the first N number of rows in an undefined order …, as Microsoft say: In a SELECT statement, always use an ORDER BY clause with the TOP clause. Because, it's the only way to predictably indicate which rows are affected by TOP.

Sir this time I used like this

SELECT top 1 (reading/(datediff(second,emp_start,emp_end))*3600) as y from bin1_final order by date

But same result

Same result? So the three queries are giving the exact same results as in your first post? i.e we are getting a different 'reading' value when we should be getting the same one for each query?

Datediff returns an integer value. Your division is performing an integer operation and truncating the decimal portion. Convert to a decimal data type:

Code:
SELECT top 1 (reading/convert(decimal(12,2), (datediff(second,emp_start,emp_end)))*3600) as y from bin1_final

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Why don't you ask SQL Server?
Code:
SELECT 50135/17808
SELECT 50135/17808*3600
SELECT 50135*3600/17808

See? SQL Server stays with the original types of values rather than guessing a good type for the result, so a solution is to use CONVERT, The last of my SELECTs also shows you can get a better integer result, when you turn the formula around. It's possible to stay exact first multiplying and then only get a slight error when dividing as last step.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back