Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing to a text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

kettch

Programmer
Mar 5, 2001
US
Is there a way to take form results and dump them to a text file?

I need to make a website that has the requirement of a form, but there is no access to backend processing (ASP, Perl, etc...). What i had in mind is to take the form input and just append it to the end of a delimited text file that could be pulled later and parsed for the data. I've looked around and it seems like it isn't possible, but I thought i'd make sure before i went and made the client pay for hosting (last resort).

In VB you have the Open statement:

OPEN file$ [FOR mode] [ACCESS access] [lock] AS [#]filenumber% [LEN=reclen%]

Is this avaiable in vbscript becuase you can open a file for append...

Alternatively if you can invode dos commands, e.g. run a batch file you could always prepare your string and do a ECHO "String" >> file.txt

Not that clever but the >> does an append instead of an overwrite.

Apologies if I have missed the point of this :(

You could try saving the results as a cookie file.

However, there are very important security reasons why a browser script should not be allowed to write to the local file system. Think about them for a moment or two and they will become quite obvious.

actually what i wanted to do was to save it to a file on the server, not on the local drive. However, the whole thing is now moot because I put my foot down and told the client that they were going to use a host that supports ASP, and they are going to buy a domain name.

Frankly i think that aol.com/mybusiness doesn't do much for your credibility. :)

thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back