Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing Shell Extensions with VS .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJed

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
SE
Hope this is a sane place to ask!

I'd been reading Michael Dunn's articles over at The Code Project ( and written a couple of simple shell extensions based on them. One added thumbnail functionality for a third party image format, another added some extra columns in detail view for said file.

I wrote both of these in VC++6 but am trying to avoid it now and focus on VC++7.1.

I've tried re-compiling them in VC++7.1 (with the latest platfrom SDK) but get met with a range of errors and depreciation warnings so I think its safe to assume re-doing them properly would be a good plan!

However, im having problems figuring out how one goes about creating a new shell extension with VC++7.1. I havent been able to find any tutorials or documentation or even simple examples I can use to get started.

Can anyone point me to any guides to shell extension writing for 7.1 or give me an outline on getting a template project set-up? As I said, this is for a thumbnail creation extension and one for adding columns.

And yes, Im a crappy coder and learn from tutorials. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back