Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing records to two sources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccpm

MIS
Apr 22, 2000
US
Is it possible to write a record from a form to two identical tables in two different files?<br>I would like to do this as a redundancy in case of data loss.

Yes!<br><br>if you haven't already done this split the database so you have an mdb file for the data and and an mdb file for the front end! make another mdb file as your backup database.<br><br>link both tables to the frontend mdb they will need different names ie tablex and tabley access will do this automatically when you link two tables with the same name but it's beter to have a bit of control over the names.<br><br>create an append query to add the records data to the backup mdb file.<br>&nbsp;<br>when you have the record data for the master table run the append query to update the backup table.<br><br>if you want to get more involved you could investigate replicating the database and have the master synchronize the updated table(s) but this has complications if all you want is a simple resolve. or even consider disk mirroring software/hardware or a raid array the later is beter you don't have to think about it! it just happens<br><br>see ya<br>RobertD<br>

I have already split the database into the front end and the data file, but I am glad to hear I can make a third file for backup...Now can I have the front end table write to both the backup and the data files simultaeously, or will I need to append the records periodically?

iicpm,<br><br>no, not at the same time but perhaps run the query in the afterupdate event or after the update record method depending on how you derive your record set etc. <br>this won't take long for single records.<br><br>you may have to come up with some smarts to cater for modifing an existing record ie run an update query for this action and the append for a new record.<br><br>see ya<br>RobertD

You can also write a procedure that copies the data.mdb to data_bak.mdb. If you want the code email me. <p>Sandeep Anand<br><a href=mailto:sandeep@matatechnologies.com>sandeep@matatechnologies.com</a><br><a href= Technologies</a><br>sign up for our free Discussion list: "Access Tips And Tricks" at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back