Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing a variable to a database every hour? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitter

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I would like any pointers on how I could set up to write an Application variable I have stored to a database every hour. I am all set up with the variables and the code to write it to the database, I just don't know how I could get it to run every hour on the hour. Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jitter

I think it's not possible with ASP, because you need to catch an event (a timer event). ASP program can only catch few events (Start and End of Application or Session even in Global.asa file).

The only way (I think...), it's to create your own object (with another language - ATL COM object VC++, VB,...). This object would handle itself the event. This object will be instancied in the Application_OnStart event...

Another option might be to get a page going that ran your script and then have some third party timer utility that loaded it into a browser.

There are plenty of shareware options out there to do that.

Hello Jitter,

I run an ASP script monthly using the Scheduler in Windows 2000, and previously the AT command in NT. I learned how to do this from this article by Kim Jensen,
Running An ASP Script As A Windows NT Service.

Good luck,
richard

Thank you to all of you. I like all the pointers you have given me. Thank you rac2 for your advice. After looking that information over it will prove to be valuable in other cases besides this.....

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back