Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing a "proxy aware client"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebassett

Programmer
Mar 27, 2003
US
Hi there,
we had an application running on client machines whihc used to connect periodically to our servers. Now they were using MS Proxy, but there was also win proxy client because of which we did not face any problems. However, now they want to switch to another proxy server and asked us to convert our application to a "proxy aware application". Could someone guide me /point me to references, on how this could be done. Does it even need to be done or would they be able to put in settings in the proxy server which would simply let our traffc through?
Thanks,
Steve.

I am not a programmer but I have made this request myself fairly often to vendors.

If your application can take advantage of windows native Internet Explorer API calls, you should be able to simply use the proxy settings extracted from the browser settings.

Another question is what sort of data your application is sending and or receiving -- is your application HHTP, FTP, or RTSP (commonly proxied traffic types) or is it something else?

The proxy they choose may not "proxy" your type of network traffic!

I suggest you research the SOCKS5 standard. Also of benefit would be coding the ability to respond to userID, Domain, Password challenges from a proxy server. We use an NT authenticating server here, and most applications that are "proxy-aware" are not NTLM "aware"

2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back