Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing a book using Word 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipGiver

Programmer
Sep 1, 2005
Hello
I am about to start writing my book. I will be using Word 2003 or 2007. I think mostly of the 2007 because it does better formattings.
The book will have everything... introduction, TOC, some words for the purpose of the book, chapters, solved exercises, appendices, bibliography, etc

Should all these in a single word file ?
( The cover will be in different file )

Thank you

Your question brings up several concerns. A format does not know which version of MS Word created it. More people will be familiar with MS Word 2003 than 2007.
A large document is easier to work with in Framemaker. Do you know Framemaker?
Google Framemaker to see the advantages over Word.
To write a large document in word you must use styles effectively.
Is English your second language? If so, you need a proofreader that knows English.

Hi,
The book will be created totally by me. There will not be any "editorial house" involved (is this the right phrase ?)
I'll have a look at the FrameMaker. Thanks

Yes, english is my 2nd language, but the book will be writen in my mother-tongue :)

You can write a book in Word, and many people do. One thing that stops it happening more frequently is that publishers and/or printers often want it in a different format. If nobody else is imposing on you, use whatever you feel comfortable with. There are other, possibly better, tools but if you are familiar with Word that is a good start - you won't be able to format as well with an unfamiliar tool.

As for how to break it down, that is, again, more or less up to you - unless it's going to be an absolutely enormous book, Word can handle it all in one document, but you may find it easier to work on multiple parts (and perhaps pull them together towards the end) - it depends on the nature of the book and the nature of the writer - you.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Thank you both for your asnwers!

What else tool would you recommend ? I am familiar with word2007. I have been using office since the 1997 version. For better managing of the stuff into the book, i will use excel too and the visio for complex drawings. Possibly other programs from which pictures will be embedded in the document.

The book will be about 400 or more pages. I will be both the writer and the publisher.

You might also want to consider how you want to handle page numbering, footnotes, footer/header - going throughout the whole book or starting over in each chapter (and creating the table of contents, too). Word has tools to help you with that - so you may want to put it all in one file.

On the other hand, you might write each part separately, then assemble them together at the end, and then handle all the mentioned issues.

One of the advantages of using Word2007 is that xml format renders it better suited for importing into other applications.

Here is a link 6 Great Tools For Writing a Book you might like.

Take a look at Microsoft Publisher as well.

Vita Brevis

Thanks

I will probably use Word200*
I have some questions on paging though, but if not figuered out, i'll start a new thread.

Thanks so far.

This is ultimately going to be a physical book, with paper pages and a cover?

How are you going to have it printed? What file formats do the printers like?

If you have no particular preference, you can save yourself time later by following the format that the printer can most easily use.

I have just written two books using Word; had no problem.
Just create your own styles for each formatting/indented paragraphs and the like, and you'll be fine.

Also make sure to define your page setup as "Multiple pages: opposite" instead of "default".
Also be careful with embedding graphics: you need to make sure they have high enough resolution for printing.

Another thing to take care of is on what page new chapters start. They usually start on an odd page (right page), so you should insert manual page breaks (odd page) before the beginning of a chapter.

Naturally there will also arise occasional blank pages. Make sure to put a white, lineless rectangle over header/footer/page numbering there. Blank pages are usually designed to not show these...
;-)

[navy]"We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill."[/navy]
- The Bastard Operator From Hell

The book will be a real book, not e-book. It will have pages cover and everything.
I will do the legal 'stuff' to protect the book before publishing, e.g. get ISBN number and protect it (copyright i think)

I do not wish someone to publish it because many strange things happens many times... and the author wont know it. So i prefare to publish it too.

MakeItSo, thanks for your tips.
I might have some questions later on.
I didnt understand what you mean at your last sentense
Over? header and footer?

Meaning, that if you have a blank page AND you don't want header/footer (like page numbers) on the blank page. So you have to somehow "cover" the offending header/footer data with an opaque white rectangle.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Yes you are (both) right. Over the header/footer, because elseway it will exist in every header/footer and i will hide it always !!

As for the "Multiple pages: opposite":
In Word 2003: "opposite" doesnt exist. It has "Mirror margins" and "book fold" ... which both seem correct to use for a book creation.

What should i choose? With "book fold" it chooses landscape orientation only
Should i also use any value for the "gutter

I see, the "opposite" was just a translation guess of mine, I have a German Word... :p
"Mirror margins" sounds like the correct setting.

Concerning the gutter: yes, do choose a value for that, however a small one. The gutter value defines the inner margin of the pages. So the lesser your gutter value is, the closer to the binding the text will start, which may make pages more difficult to read, since they don't open "flat", but with a part hidden in the central binding.

Also choose an easily readable font, as well as the correct font size. 12 point might be a good value.
I also recommend line spacing of 1.2 times instead of normal.

What book format/size were you thinking of? This will become important once you start embedding pics and tables...

P.S: it is great fun creating your own book, your own cover, all yours! Right?
:-D

The gutter:
I asked about it since i can for example set the left margin to 2cm and the right margin to 3cm... and this is similar to having a gutter value of 1cm (right and left set to 2cm both).

Fonts:
For code (assembly language) i will choose 'Courier New'.
Then there is the header1,2 , etc that can be 'Cambria' or 'Calibri' for example. (In Word 2007)
The body can be 'Palatino LinoType' or any of the most common such as 'Times New Roman'.

Size:
12pt and 1.2 spacing as you said seems very good choise
I am thinking... the text to be enclosed in a rectangle 13x21 centimeters

PS to your PS :)
Yes !

A rectangle? Good idea! Nice optical feat.

Re. the gutter: yes, you can do it with left and right margins of course.
Press people usually calculate with the gutter as extra value because there are certain standard values for gutter, bleed margin etc.

Fonts: good choice!
Sounds like you are having a sound concept.
:)

Opss, i didnt mean a real rectangle (with visible border lines). Not really 'enclose', but the whole text to 'fit' in an area 13x21 cm. Ofcourse, there will be extra 2cm at the top and bottom, plus the left and right margins.

The page will be A4 size so i'll have to put certain margins and gutter. To make it simpler to understand since i dont think i express myself correctly:

- A normal A4 is [21 x 29.7] cm
- The book's page will be [17 x 24] cm (a machine will cut the excess after printing)
- The text will fit in [13 x 21] cm (of the 17 x 24).

Better now? :)

Hello again
back to the subject.

Where should i design the covers? ( front, back, side )
When the book will finish, i'll know the number of the pages so i will be able to know what will the height ( of the side ) be.

Hi TipGiver,

you probably won't be able to design the covers in Word due to the size of them resp. it.
Besides: Word has a nasty habit of not embedding pictures in full resolution, or so it seems.
I would recommend a software like Illustrator, Photoshop, or anything that allows you to create - and PDF-print - drawings of a width of 30 cms or more. The application must also be capable of handling text layers and vertical text (for the spine)

The usual way to go is to create the cover in one piece; with the back on the left, followed by the spine and finally the front page on the right.
Of course you can already do a rough design of the cover, but do not create a nicely detailed version until you are completely finished writing, because the final number of pages as well as the kind of paper to use will determine the size of the spine.

You can also go with a mixture of applications, like I did.
I created all graphics including my the cover background in Paint.Net in cooperation with other photo manipulation SW, and then assembled and arranged the cover in FrameMaker.
Came out really nice.
:)

By the way, here is one spine size calculator that might come in handy in time:

Good luck!

If you use 'Header' style for chapter headings, you automatically get a 'Table of Contents' that keeps updating.

If you plan to have an index, Word can generate that given suitable marking.

Word lets you create neat diagrams, if you need them.

For the bibliography etc., you could keep it in the same document and use 'Split Screen'. Or another document that you merge in the end.

You can also export the finished book as Text or PDF.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back