Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writeback and rollback with cubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

iween

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
MY
Hi All,
I'm a newbie to cubes and i want to find out if i can do a writeback to a cube and then later rollback the action if i decide to keep the original data in the cell.

I'm trying to do it programmatically using VB but i only can see the result in the cube when i use this line:
" conn.CommitTrans"
After this line i can't seem to be able to rollback the action and will get this error:

"No transaction is active"

Please help. Thanks in advance

Hi,
I am new to the cube subject as well, but the problem here seems to be the transaction. Once you execute the con.committrans, the transaction is finished and rollback is no longer possible. As far as I understand transactions, that is the point. You mark the beginning of a transaction, then you do stuff, and if it does not work out correctly, you roll back the action. But if it's good, it's done with. With me SQL Analysis Services creates a separate writeback table when I enable write access. But even there, deletion is not possible (nor wanted as far as I understand). A record of the deltas between values is being kept instead, which makes sense, too.

Hope that helps
Lutz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back