Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

write to registry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgardg

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2001
AR

I am trying go run a login script with:
regedit /s \\Server1\netlogon\Legal.reg
to create a legal notice.
Runs fine as an administrator, but not as a User.

how can I do this from the login script?

Domain user have limited authority to access the registry. Where are you trying to write the reg changes? If its HKEY_Current_User it should work fine, if its HKEY_Local_Machine it probably wont work because of permissions.

RoadKi11

you're right, I was writing to the local_machine.
Now it wrote it to the registry but the Notice is not
showing like I was when I was writing to the Local_machine.

what am I missing?

Why not push this out via a GPO?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

well, cause did not know till you mention it.

I was investigating in a way of doing this and I found I could do it with the login script (or so I thought)

Can you give me a link or directions to do this?

thanks so much for your help

I'm assuming that you are trying to set the text box that pops up when people go to log in which says some legal stuff about not using the computer if you aren't authorized?

Edit the GPO (or create a new one) which covers the machines in question. If doing this for all machines on the domain edit the default domain policy or equilivent. Under "Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Option" you will find "Interactive Logon: Message text for users attempting to log on" and Interactive Logon: Message title for users attempting to log on".

Edit those values setting them to what ever you want. Save the GPO and then sit back and wait. By tomorrow that new policy will have been pushed to every machine on the domain.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

[noevil]

Yes, I am trying to create a texbox pop at logon.

I did what you told me yesterday, then I went home.
This morning when I logged in nothing happened. The server had some updates, so I restarted it.
Tried again and no pops at log on.
So I double checked and noticed I missed the "message title" I fixed that and run a gpupdate
When I run RSoP.msc still don’t show the changes.
What’s going on?

Thank so much for your help

It you have more than one domain controller you may need to force replication between them to get the change to all the DCs, then run a gpupdate.

Denny

[noevil]

As Denny says, make sure that you are editing the "proper" policy for the machines you want the logon to appear. Preferably domain policy, not local.

Denny, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the "require Ctrl-Alt-Delete" also have to be set? I've never tried to set the "logon text" without having ctrl-alt-delete set, so don't know if that could be a cause too?

oh, well, that would explain it then. It's now only working when I try to login to the server (machine itself) no when I login from any machine to the network, which is what I want.
Ok, let me give it try. I'll get back to you
thank you very much

I enabled the domain controller: "interactive logon:"
Message text
Message Title
Cntr-alt-del

and still the only time I get the message is when I login to the machine (server).
whate else I'm missing?

Did you modify the domain controller policy, or did you modify the domain policy? The domain controller policy will only apply to domain controllers, where as the domain policy will apply to all machines in the domain.

Bingo!
It was on the wrong place

thank you so much to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back