Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write to DTS Log File

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcauliff

Programmer
Feb 26, 2007
US
Is there a way to write data to the DTS log file. I'm debugging 2 DTS packages. Package A contains Package B. Package B uses SQL Server. I tried using MsgBox, but they do not display (i'm assuming because package a is controlling).

if I can't find a way to display values from the package, than I would like to write information into the DTS log file

Is this possible? How is it done? My experience is just above a newbie.

Hi,

Do this for both packages.

1. Open the package
2. Click on Package then Properties
3. Click on the logging tab
4. enter a path in the "Error file" box at the bottom of the screen. Make it a full path including the name of the text file you want the logging to be written to (use a different name for pkg A and pkg B to make it easier).
5. Run the package and if it errors, check the log file you specified for errors.

HTH.

M.

Mutley1

Thank you for the reply. I already have the logging selected. What I want to do is write the value of variables to the log file to assist in debugging.

Unless there is a way to have a MsgBox display? Or is there another way to debug the second DTS package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back