Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write conflict with Recordsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcw

MIS
Oct 10, 2001
US
I've seen a lot of answers to write conflict issues but nothing that has helped me so far. I have a form (Form 1) bound to a table (Table A). I also have another form (Form 2) that can be opened at the same time that has a recordset based on Table A. If I update the recordset through Form 2 and then save Form 1 I get a Write Conflict error.

Basically I'm wondering if there is anyway to turn off the Write conflict error message for this particular time. I don't want to have it always off since there will be multiple users on the database. I've tried using the setWarnings property but it does not turn of the Write conflict. any help would be appreciated.

Brian

It doesn't sound like this is what you want but, have you tried to set the record locking property of the forms?

The locks are set to No Locks. Which I think I need since I'm changing the same record from another form. I've decided to change the layout so that all data is contained on the one form. Doesn't look as nice but it's the best solution I could come up with.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

My first piece of advice would be don't use bound forms.

Try looking into unbound forms and using recordsets to populate them/write data changes back to the table.

A bit long winded setting them up but you'll save yourself a lot of heartache around problems like this.

Ed Metcalfe.

Thanks for the advice Ed. I think I'm definitely going to start using unbound forms fron now on. Seems like it will give me a lot more control. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back