Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write conflict on multi-table view

Status
Not open for further replies.

prahalski

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2005
US
I have a SQL Server view that I am trying to use in an Access form and get a write conflict message whenever I attempt to update one of the linked tables. I think the problem is that I use two separate outer joins to the same table:

View is structured as follows:

Select * from CodeMapping as CM
outer join to Codes as SC on
CM.SourceCode = SC.Code
outer join to Codes as TC on
CM.TargetCode = TC.Code

The keys for these three tables are integer columns called row_key, but the Code values are alternate(natural) keys, but these have different values on each table. There are no integer values on CodeMapping to allow a join to Codes, which is why I use the Code column.

In many cases, I only get one of the two joins, so I have values from one table from the form but the other fields are empty. As an example, SC has a row_key of 4111 and TC has a null row_key as it did not have a matching row in the TC outer join.

When I change the field SC.flag1 on the form
Access generates the update statement something like

update Codes
set flag1 = 'YES'
where row_key = 4111 and row_key is null

This appears to be because Access has determined that the underlying table for the flag1 column is Codes, but when it tries to determine the key values for the Codes table, it ends up with the key from the tables referenced as SC and TC in the view even though its trying to update the SC version.

How do I get around this?
I've tried numerous things like adding timestamp columns to the tables. This didn't help. I also divided the view into two views -
View1 joins CodeMapping to Codes as SC
View2 joins CodeMapping to Codes as TC
If I use these individually on a form, no problems. If I combine the views:
View3 joins View1 to View2
I'm back where I started from with the write conflict.

Anyone encounter this before? Any idea how to get around the error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back