Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

write but no delete in a folder 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
Hi, I can't seem to see a way to do this.

I would like a folder that contains documents users create and save from a blank template, but not allow them to delete the saved documents. Setting 'modify' allows delete, so I can get one but not the other.

Is there a way to do this?

Click the "Advanced" button will give you more options.

thanks, had a look at those options but I still have the same conflict....

tried setting the share permissions to 'change' and read and write in the security, but the same error occurs.." the folder you are attempting to save to is a network folder with create but not modify permission..."

allowing "modify" inherently allows the same user to delete in that folder. would it be better to use IIS and close the webserver to only the local network? I seem to remember being able to specify wrx and no delete in inetpub folders.

any other ideas?

thanks

Hi, you should set your security at the NTFS level (security tab) instead of at the sharing level. You will then have a lot more options to set.
You need to have a NTFS partition.

Always use NTFS unless you're afraid you can't log onto a machine that's locked. FAT32 gives you a back door into the pc, but NTFS is much more secure. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
Cicero (106-43 B.C.); Roman orator, philosopher.

thanks people. I am using NTFS, in the security tab, the options to set "read, write, delete" are separate, but inter-related. I have not been able to set the abilty to write, without invoking "modify" , or if I set modify, it becomes diabled if I select deny "delete". Even using edit in the permission control panel of the acces settings inside the security tab, you cannot select write and deny delete/delete olders files without Win2K removing the folders basic setting of "modify".

Surely it is possible to create a folder that can be written to, but not deleted from?

Hi Ray, Felixfong is right. If you go into Advanced permissions, you can choose to "Create Folders/Append Data" , but not choose "Delete". Isn't that what you're looking for?

maybe, yes, could be actually. will try that. There has to be a way. thanks

I'm having the same problems - I wish to allow users to create files, but not delete them. I have tried just about every combination of allows and deny's, but cannot implicitly prevent users from being able to delete files, whilst allowing them to create/modify. I'm fast coming round to writing a script to change file attributes to read only every 5 minutes or so...but that wouldn't work either! Did this work OK in NT4 with its RWXD permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back