Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrestling with Netfinity 5600 - ServeRAID, ASM, Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomeei

Technical User
Oct 3, 2007
PL
Hi,

oh what the heck, I'll share my problems, maybe by any chance someone will come up with a helpful advice of a more experienced user...
Recently acquired a Netfinity 5600. It has 2x P3 1GHz CPU, 1,2G RAM, 2x ServeRAID (4L and 3L), an ASM extension card and the backplane filled up
with 36G SCSI drives.

Unfortunately, I have trouble managing the hardware under Linux, making it even less acessible than a regular PC machine at times... which having read some of the manuals I can't get over.

1st thing I noticed after finally comprehending IPSSEND:

# hdparm -t /dev/sdd (ok ok I know the hdparm yaddayadda)

/dev/sdd: # ServeRAID logical volume. Always below 20M/s.
Timing buffered disk reads: 50 MB in 3.12 seconds = 16.05 MB/sec

For comparison:
/dev/sda: # Onboard U2W AIC7897 :-O
Timing buffered disk reads: 202 MB in 3.03 seconds = 66.73 MB/sec

I must say this sucks. What am I doing wrong?

Another issue is the Advanced Systems Processor driver, I can get it to load the ibmasm.ko module, along with ibmsmb.ko but I don't see anything happening.
And the tools like MPCLI etc. won't tell me a thing for the hell of it! :-(
Can someone point me to some steps that I might be neglecting? I haven't been able to talk to the PCI module, because 1) the ethernet port has an IP addr unknown to me 2) I don't have a breakout cable 3) didn't yet connect ASM header on the system board with the RJ-11 slot in the PCI card.

I would be very grateful if someone could lend me a hand over those issues.
I spent countless hours on ibm.com support, without luck.

I think I'll leave things like making use of PCI hotplug and a mess in interrupts for later ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back