Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wrapping Text around an Object 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyell

Technical User
Aug 5, 2007
US
Last year, I found a tutorial about wrapping text around a complicated object. It was so clear that even I, a complete newbie, could follow it. This is what I did:

Now, of course, I can't remember how to do it, and stupidly I must not have bookmarked the tutorial. I've been searching and searching the web and I can't find the original tutorial or anything else that looked promising. I think maybe I'm not even using the right terminology -- maybe wrapping text means something else.

Can anybody help me -- either by pointing me to a tutorial, or by telling me how?

...the function you refer to is text on path...

...you need a path to begin with, this can be a custom path by way of the pen tool, a custom shape or from a selection converted to a path...

...whichever you use, you need the path selected and then select the text tool...

...you can also have text inside a path, and even a path cutting into a paragraph so the text runs around the shape, known as text wrap...

...i have done a quick movie to show text on a path (quicktime required):

Andrew

...using the character palette you will then likely need to make adjustments to letter spacing, baseline shift etc...

Andrew

...to convert a selection into a path, you can make selection with magic wand tool or quick selection tool (fourth from top in tool palette)...

...then in the paths palette, choose the icon at the bottom (fourth from left) to make selection into path...

...get the text tool, click on the edge of the path and start typing...

...if you find the text going on the inside and not the outside, press control/command key and pull the dot on path indicater outwards (as in video above)...

Andrew

Thanks so much, Andrew! Between your explanation and the video, that will solve my problem.

Kudos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back