Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WPC56G Install Windows XP problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focusedonsound

Technical User
Feb 22, 2004
US
I had this card (WPC54G) working find in my old laptop (IBM think pad pentium 133) I recently purchased a new laptop HP Pavilion AMD athalon running windows XP home.

I started with following the directions as per the linksys install guide. For the life of me I can not get the card to see the network. I have all of the network setting at the original settings.

I plugged another card in the computer (netgear 802.11b) and saw the network as soon as I did so. I plugged the (WPC54G) in to another laptop running win2k and as soon as I did so everything comes right up and is working!

I have made all available windows updates. I have downloaded all of the newest drivers for this card, I have also downloaded the newest version of bios for the laptop. I have contacted Linksys on several occasions to no avail.

The only additional information that I can give you is this. When I plugged in the card and double click on the network connection it shows a network inside (WLAN) but it will not connect to it.

Please help. I can proved you with any additional info you may need.

Thanks in advance
Nick

i too have had this porblem with the same equipment...it sounds like you DO have another wifi card in the pavilion...look underneath the pc and you will see the reset switch...above this is a plate ...remove the 2 screws and hopefully you will see a little pci card ...remove this card by pushing the 2 clips on either side of it away from the card....the card will now come out of the pc///toward you...disconnect any wires you see...replace the cover and try again...good luck i have the same setup but unfortunatly havent been too lucky as yet with the linksys card...time will tell .

I had a similar problem with xp on my network. 2k and 98 machines worked great but when I switched pc's over to xp they couldnt access the network this was do to out of date firmware in the router. So you may want to upgrade router firmware if you are still having this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back