Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WPC54G to WRT54G help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thope

Technical User
Jul 1, 2005
US
Ok, I've been trying to connect my HP laptop to the internet wirelessly for days now, and no luck so far. I've installed drivers/firmware for both my card and router, placed my laptop next to my router, to make sure this wasn't a range issue, but I still can't connect. The Wireless G utility won't work at all, so I'm using the Windows Zero Wireless app. to change settings. Right now I see a Connected: strength excellent : transfer rate 54 mbps, so I should be connected. But the link light on my card is dim, and the internet won't come up. Also, I've contacted linksys, and they said the card was faulty, so they shipped me a new one, but I still get the same problem, so I'm almost certain it's not the card, or if it is it is just incompatible with my laptop, but my laptop runs on XP prof. so I don't see any incompatibility issues. When I use ipconfig /all, everything looks normal, but pinging 192.168.1.1 gives me a 100% loss and a request timed out message. Do I need to tell my internet what connection to use (ethernet/wireless) or is it somthing else? Sorry for the long post...

try disabling the local area connection in Network connections. You're using Windows Xp...try going into safe mode(restart pc, before first boot screen keep taping on F8. In windows advanced settings, choose safe mode with networking.)If it is a program in your pc that blocks the connection(thanks for details, i'm pretty convinced that it is the case), in safe mode you'll be able to ping out and to connect. The fact that you're signal strengh is showing connected at a 100% means that you're card is getting a full signal.And the fact that you're pc is pulling a 192.168.1.10.. and your default gateway 192.168.1.1,means that it is getting this ip from a Linksys router. Note:this would be totally false if you're ip adress has been hardcoded and manually imput in your wireless card.well, you should know if so. The only things left are probably a firewall or some kind of program bloking it. If the fact that you're ip adress was hardcoded...and that the card could not find one on its own...try typing into your command prompt(if windows xp sp2)" netsh winsock reset".this resets your winsocks on your internet protocol.you'll need to restart after. This messages is getting to long...if you need more help, just ask

I have heard of people having trouble (I'm not sure exactly what) with the Linksys configuration utility for their wireless routers. I simply use the web interface (open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1) for configuration. Of course, if you can't even get to that it's irrelevent. Make sure you check your computer for viruses and spyware and if it's clean check for any programs (like firewalls) that may be blocking the connection. Some firewalls can be configured to block just about everything they don't recognize without asking you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back