Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WPC54G Card and Toshiba 315CDS Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveris

Technical User
Dec 28, 2004
US
This card work fine on both WIN98 SE and XP Pro notebooks, but not on a Toshiba 315 CDS running WIN2K Pro. Spent several hours with Linksys support, including a senior tech, who concluded it was either a Toshiba or Microsoft problem. System requirements are 64 MB RAM and a 200 Mhz processor - this notebook has 96 MB RAM and Pentium 200 Mhz with MMX. Senior tech at Linksys says many older notebooks with 200 Mhz processor run this card with no problems.

All updates installed for operating system, and I've tried both the original and latest Linksys drivers. Software installs okay, hardware installation installs the driver, but card can't find/see/associtate with the router.

No problems with desktop and other notebooks - just this Toshiba 315 CDS running WIN2K Pro.

Suggestions, and/or, can anyone confirm by experience that the WPC54G card will work with above hardware/software combination?

Thanks in advance to all.

I have a Toshiba 2230CDS and when I used a Linksys WPC11 card, it would cause the laptop to completely lock up after a few minutes.

I had to switch to an SMC card to get it working. What exactly is the problem you're having?

Thanks for the response. I've tried both the original and latest Linksys drivers, but the card can't see the reouter. The software installs correctly, and subsequent installation of the card installs the driver, but the card can't find/see/associate with the router. I can change the default SSID from linksys to whatever, but the utility will not allow me to change the defualt channel from 6 to anything else. So, something is wrong with the driver/utility installation.

It's an SBC DSL high speed connection, going directly to the router. One wired port to the XP Home desktop and wireless connections to a WIN98 SE Dell notebook and an XP Pro Toshiba 2180 CDT. Those three connections work just fine. In fact, the card in the WIN2K Pro Toshiba 315 CDS works fine when installed in the XP Pro Toshiba 2180 CDT. So, it's not a defective hardware problem.

In reviewing some of the other threads, it seems like the WIN2K Pro operating system and Linksys are not as compatible as the other op systems. I found one thread reply that dealt with extensive editing of the registry, but have not tried that approach, because it was not specifically for the WPC54G card.

Any ideas?

Do you know if any other wireless NIC works in your 315 CDS? As a completely long shot, what cardbus controller does the 315 CDS use?

Is your AP set to broadcast the SSID? If not, try enabling that to see if the card can then find the AP.

My Compaq laptops have an 02Micro cardbus controller and it won't work the SMC wireless NIC. Supposedly 02Micro tech support says the controller is not 100% compatible with every card.

Thanks again for the response. Yes, the router is broadcasting the SSID, and the card sees it. But I still get an error message in the Linksys utility saying that the card cannot associate with or recognize the router. Also, the utility will not allow me to change the default channel fom 6 to anything else. Inresearching some of the other posts in the forum, it would appear that the WIN2K Pro op system has more installation problems than others.

I have read that proprietary cardbus controllers can be a problem, and that using the generic Microsoft one is a fix. Also, that NETBUI must be installed and that the default op system install does not include NETBUI.

I'll keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back