Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WPA-PSK not connecting until 'repair' function run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiggsy

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
We have a small wireless section of our LAN served by a 3COM OfficeConnect Wireless G router (3CRWE554G72TU). Workstations have 3COM 11a/b/g wireless PCI cards (3CRDAG675) installed.

Signal strength is excellent, WPA-PSK is enabled. Three workstations utilise this wireless segment, Windows XP Professional SP2.

Two function perfectly fine, the third will show the network is not present. When checking available networks the WLAN is listed with excellent signal strenght, through both Windows Zero Networking, and the 3COM tool. If a 'repair' is run on the the WNIC then it will connect, otherwise will remain disconnected.

It does not make any difference whether the wireless connection is managed via SP2 W-networking, or the 3COM software, the results are the same.

The workstation will connect, however, if security is totally disabled.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I had a similar problem while using a Buffalo Tech wireless nic connecting to a Linksys router.

I replaced the network card with a new Buggalo card and the problem went away. I have since installed the "first" Buffalo card in another workstation and it has been working fine. Gremlins?

Just done the exact same thing. Switched out for an exact replacement 3COM card, works seamlessly.

Hate to drag an old thread up from the depths ... but the issue with this was apparently never resolved.

The card sees the network, has excellent connectivity yet totally fails to authenticate. XP Pro is fully updated and this issue is present with both the 3COM software and the in-built Windows Wireless connectivity software.
Other wireless workstations connect perfectly, issue is definitely the single PC the card is connected to.

Any help or ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back