Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP8 w/Win2K standard users unable to print 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Let me preface this by noting that I'm not that conversant with WordPerfect in the first place. I am working on a W2K Pro build that will be rolled out to a few hundred users and I can't figure out this printing problem. Initially I received a "Can't initialize" error message when logged on as an end user(finally figured out the registry permissions work around). I am basically at an end with printing. When logged on as an end user (with our standard network rights), I can save, spell check, etc., but I cannot print. I can print using the Admin logon, but not a standard user. Basically I attempt to print a document as an end user and absolutely nothing happens. No errors, no messages, no print job. It sounds like a permissions problem locally, but I can come up with nothing. This has become quite frustrating to say the least. If anyone has some insite, I would certainly appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks in advance.

This is for anyone that may run into the same problem. I've figured it out, finally, and it's really dumb. First logon to the machine as an administrator and print something from Word Perfect, anything, doesn't matter. Then, find two files. They are: PFP80JCM.{PB and PFP80JPR.{PB Once you've found those, right click on each and select Properties. Once there, go to Security and add the Everyone object and give them Full Control. That's it. Pretty dumb, but it works.

I have a similar problem: W2K Pro SP3 (German), trying to install WP8 SP7 incl. language module. WP8 installs regularly, as admin it works. As regular user, I get an application error when opening WP window. Done until now:
With REGEDT32 HKLM Software Corel branch: Security set to Domain Users: Full access.

I figured out basically the same thing, however, I added the Everyone group (with Full Access rights) as opposed to the Domain Users group. That seems to have cleared any problems. Frankly, I found the entire exercise particularly annoying. However, I believe that if you switch to the Everyone group, this should help. One more note, if you are having problems with a particular module (the German language module for example), you might want to try a different copy of the CD. Same version and such, just try a different CD. I had problems getting Spell Checker to work until I dug up another copy, after that it worked as it should. I hope this helps.

Thanks Wolfgang.

Would you please share the registry permissions workaround for opening Corel Wordperfect 8.0 in Win2k?
Thanks!

We finally have it working. The following procedure is necessary:
1) Full install of WP8 & Language Modules (if required) at the work station as ADMIN.
2) Apply ServicePack 7 for WP8.
3) Add the local group Authentificated Users and the domain group Domain Users to the local group "Hauptbenutzer" (sorry, we have only German W2K version, should be named as Power User or something like that in English). Thus, all authentificated users get extended rights at the local machine (not nice from the security point of view, but seems to be unavoidable).
4) Using REGEDT32, mark the the HKLM/Software/Corel subtree in the Local Machine Hive. Under Security, give the Power User group full access.
5) Using EXPLORER, give the Power User group full access also to the subdirectory c:\winnt (or the respective dir on any other drive if not installed on c:). Not nice either from security point of view.
6) Start C:\corel\programs\pfreg.exe and first deregister and then register again all WP components.
7) Start WP once as ADMIN (I am not sure whether this is really necessary).
8) Login as regular user without ADMIN rights.
9) Make sure that a valid printer is set to standard printer (another reason for WP8 to crash at startup if there is no valid printer defined).
10) Repeat step 6) for the regular user.
Should work now without glitches. Nasty procedure, but nevertheless, I prefer it to the WP9 or WP10 desaster. WP8 is really an excellent product (we made PS files for books with several hundred pages including graphs and tables without major problems directly out of WP8 - CD to the printer's office, and a perfect offset print result from Computer-to-Plate technology). The excellent technology of WP was really spoiled by the business mafia.
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang. I would also recommend adding the Everyone group and giving them full control. This, along with the excellent information from Wolfgang, should help you.

I agree Wolfgang. The best part of WP is that it gives users total control of the document. Also (having taken a little German in school) I believe that you are correct about Hauptbenutzer, I think it translates literally to Head User (haupt = head, benutzer = user).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back