Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP8 gives Illegal Op trying to open .doc file

Status
Not open for further replies.

herbc

Programmer
Jun 24, 2001
US
Wp8 is giving me an "Illegal Operation" message when I try to get it to open .doc files. Is it possible that WP8 is too old to handle the file format. That seems unlikely, since .doc should be pretty generic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would very much appreciate any help, ideas, etc.

herbc

Herbc,
I've had this problem only when the .doc files were saved in Office XP format. Previous versions open fine.

It will depend upon what version of Word (Word 97, 2000, 2002) the .doc file was created with. Bottom line is that .doc is not as generic as it might seem. WordPerfect 9 has trouble with Word 2002, but is OK with prior
versions...

Don

Thanks, Don Klein and Ronstid, for the help. I do appreciate it.

I discovered after writing, that the .doc's I was having trouble with cause Wordpad to do the same thing. That did surprise me. It seems like Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Ar there any other ways that come to mind for reading or converting those docs?

Herbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back