Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP2000 Installation Problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjulie

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
ZA
I apologise, I forgot to put in a subject heading.

I am running Windows ME and tried to install Windows professional 2000.

It gave me the option of installing as an upgrade(recommended) or as a clean install. I chose upgrade.

It informs me that it does not recognise any mass storage devices(I presume it means hard drive).

My hard drive controller is an Ali 5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller. I have an upgrade for WP2000 but it will only load in WP2000.Chicken and egg situation.

I tried to continue and it informed me that a file Aic116x.sys is corrupt, and then aborted. I have searched for this file and cannot find it on my hard drive or the WP2000 CD.

1. When I try to re-install it now tells me that to install as an upgrade is no longer an option. When I install as clean it still aborts with the same message.

2. Windows Professional 2000 Setup has written itself in to the boot record and now offers itself as an option on startup.

Any ideas on how to install or remove the setup from the boot record if I can't install

bigjulie,

to repair the boot record is simple enough. if you have a ERD for Windows ME you can boot with this diskette and then run the command
fdisk /mbr

this command will take you back to the previous boot record (removing Windows 2k Pro items). As far as your installation, I might ask if you attempted to use floppy disks to boot from instead of the Win2K Pro CD? If you CD did not come with floppies you can create them by running an executible within a prompt of Windows ME. I think its either
winnt /b or winnt32 /b executed from the CD.

Good luck.

If you can get back in to WinME try this:
To cause Windows to attempt to reinitialize the protected-mode IDE driver:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

3. In the right pane, right-click the NOIDE value, and then click Delete.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

After you update the registry, restart Windows. Windows attempts to initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller. If Windows can initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller, the file system and virtual memory operate in 32-bit mode and Device Manager does not display an exclamation point in a yellow circle for the IDE channels.

If the protected-mode driver is not initialized properly, you receive an error message and the NOIDE value is re-created. Windows uses the MS-DOS Compatibility mode file system the next time that you start the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back