Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP10 Insists on Printing Banners

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiwin

Technical User
Mar 29, 2005
US
Using WP10 on Win XP Home SP2 with Lexmark X5150 Printer. Recently, I screwed up some setting in WP because it now creates all documents for Banner Printing. I know the problem is in WP (rather than the Lexmark setup) because MS WORD does not have this problem.

Appreciate any help I can get!

Irwin

Check your Format, Page, Page Setup. Select some other page.

You can set a default page setup in your blank template file. There are several ways to do that. In one method, double click the first code in the document which is the open document style. Do the Format, Page, Page Setup and then check the box to save as the default.

Thanks for your response. I had already tried both of your suggestions, but did so again to be sure. No change ... everythhing tries to print as banner.

I guess you could reinstall the printer.

First, try replacing your default template. Its name is located in your Tools, Settings, Files, Template. It is named wp10us.wpt depending on your country code "us" and wp version "10". There may be multiply copies so checking the exact path first is prudent.

Close wp, rename that template file to whatever, start wp. WP creates a new one if it can't find one as specified in your Settings.

Well, still no joy. Perhaps some more detail will help. My wife and I have separate accounts on the system. The problem occurs in her account. It could be a WP problem or a Lexmark problem.

She can not print her documents without getting the "Insert Banner Paper" notice. If she allows the printing to proceed the top line(s) of all but the first page are lost.

However, I can print her documents from my account with no problems. As far as I can tell the Lexmark settings for the two accounts are identical, but I could be missing something.

When you check Format, Page, Page Setup as khobson suggested, are you logged in to your wife's account and is the Lexmark printer selected?

Don

Yes. I also tried it with her as Administrator.

Just tried an experiment: 1)Deleted the Corel Folder in my wife's Applications Data. 2)Started Wordperfect and dicovered that settings were remembered (e.g., Default folder).

Concluded that this stuff must be in the Registry. Question: anyone have any ideas as to what entry in Registry would have page format info?

Irwin

When you edit a page setup, what size and source are you using? You can set it for the current printer or all.

Another option might be to click the properties button in the print dialog when you click File, Print. Also in the print dialog, you can click the Edit Settings button which has various options based on the selected printer.

I know wp11 has a repair option on the cdrom setup program. If wp10 doesn't have it, you might try unistalling it and then reinstalling it.

You might review this link before unistalling.
You might something in the registry, HKEY_Users/.Default/Software/Corel/PrintEngine/10/YourPrinterName.

I took the following steps: (1) Deleted the Corel folder from my wife's Application data. (2) Uninstalled WP10 (there is no entry in Add|Remove programs, but I found the uninstaller on the WP10 CD. This step removed a lot of entries in Ragistry) (3) Reinstalled WP10

Same problem in my wife's account. I will look for Registry entries.

Solution: after much playing around with [user] Application data in my wife's account (Bill Gates: Thanks for System Restore), I decided to create a new account for my wife and move critical application data (e.g., profiles for browser and email client. After I was sure the new account worked, I deleted the old one and renamed the new one. Everything is working fine now.

Thanks to both of you for your time and suggestions!

Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back