Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP 8 - Address Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfmcd

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
12/01/02

Yesterday afternoon when I tried to access the address book Word Perfect froze up and I had to ctrl/alt/delete to close it out. Happened 5 or 6 times. Happened when I tried to access an address when formating an envelope.

(1) Doesn't it sound like perhaps a file has become corrupted??? I occasionally get messages that Internet Explorer has caused an error in "XXXX" and must close.

(2) I think maybe a reinstall of the address book portion of WP 8 may restore it's functionality.

(3) Can someone direct me to the "Microsoft Messenger" solution when trying to reinstall any part of WP8 and...

(4) Does anyone know in which folders or files WP 8 stores the data comprising the address book. I'm afraid if I over install the program I'll lose all the hard earned addresses. However if I can find the data maybe I can hide it somewhere and restore it later. If I could get into the address book I'd export the stuff to another machine on my LAN but noooooo.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

You can start by exporting the address book to a different location. Open the addressbook then (file, import/export) and export either to a known directory on your machine or somewhere else and save it as <name>.abx

-
Kikalo

If you have a WinXP operating system, WP8 address book seems to be quirky. I have tried reinstalling (you do not lose your addresses), but it still says it is missing an &quot;engine&quot;.

WP Address book is the quirkiest part of the program. First of all the files are stored in Suite8\shared\address. It's not a bad idea to copy it to another location now and then just to keep from panicking when crlab does whatever thing it does.

Second: Address book is terrifically memory hoggish. If you are running it on 98 or less, GDI memory will drop down and leave it hanging. In times like this all you have to do is reboot. Open nothing but WP or Address Book, and, zingo zingarri hocus pocus, it's back where it was before.

Third: My current entertainment is watching Eudora corrupt Mapi32.dll, which is essential to Address Book. It's like having two eight year olds who hate each other in the box. My somewhat primitive method of dealing with the problem is having a copy of the uncorrupted dll in a new Windoz folder, so I can copy it back to system32 (winnit system32 on w98) anytine it blows. I have w2k.

The cure seems to be to get a healthy version, which you guard with your life, from any machine running the same version as yours. Do a search (ctrl F) for win32.dll and copy the clean version into the directory where you find it, being sure to rename the old version first just in case.

Fourth: sometimes something evil in the system will change your settings. Yours should be Corel8. If you have recently installed Ms Messenger it is possible that it changed your settings. Go to Control Panel > Mail and Fax or whatever your version has and check the settings. There's a chance that yours is changed to Outlook or MS Messeger. Change it back to Corel.

Five: If you do reinstall the address book it will not erase your addresses. Go ahead. For your peace of mind, however, copy the address book to another folder before you do. If it comes up empty you can always copy them back. But they will be there.

Six: Sometimes, heavens forfend, MS will boot your profile. Make sure you are your old self when you sign on.

12/23/02

Thanks for all your replies, turns out that somehow I'd managed to get the address book super-minimized and the logo on the lower bar was apparently hidden behind something else. A reply on another forum told me how to bring it up and close it out properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back