Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wow, i like table-less css =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iostream71

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
i decided to try a layout with no tables, and man is it soooo much nicer. mind you, i'm no css expert, so my way of doing things is probably not the optimal way. wasn't able to try in all browsers, but it worked fine in the latest ie and ns

One problem--you are using absolute positioning. That's fine for 1024 monitors, but for 800 monitors, half the screen is off the page! Other than that, from just glancing at it, it looks nice.

Rick If I have helped you just click the first link below to let me know :)

Make everything RELATIVE(not absolute) to 0,0 on the screen. Then, center it. If it's relative, it should be centerable.

Rick If I have helped you just click the first link below to let me know :)

WOW - I like the look, and the scrolling is sweet too. Is that a javascript function or a java applet? Einstein47
(How come we never see the headline, "Psychic Wins Lottery"?)

nah, it's all flash and php heh.

i tried that relative positioning, but it looked weird in ns4(even though i don't allow users to see it)

Hi,
It took ages for the page to open for me so I gave up! :(

I am working on much the same as you but without flash and php.
Have you positioned your divs relative to the right side? If I shrink my browser window I lose your content, it should flow to the left or else be positioned from the left!

Biggest problem I have at the moment is aligning two divs beside each other but keeping them center screen! I can center them but they dont flow to the left when needed or I can keep them on the left and let them resize!
Have you had similar problems?

I'll probably post mine in a couple of days to see what folks think!

É

endamcg-logo1b.gif

You should make the colors have a higher contrast. It is difficult to read the text.

everything was positioned absolute. couldn't get relative positioning to work the way i wanted, so gave up. no idea why it took so long to load. i could care less if somebody resizes the screen =)

Ok. It's just that if they have a 800 X 600 monitor, they can never get the screen to see the whole page (some nay not even realize that there is a third column).

Rick It's a pleasure to know that I've helped you. If I have,
please click the link below to let me know. :)

thing is, if they do have that resolution, there's scroll bars to see everything. anyways, this was my first attempt at css, so next version maybe i'll cater to everyone ;)

I love it, really cool, more experimental than functional, but really cool for those who keep the browser updated. I agree w/ cian, scroll no good, but for this, who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back