Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would this request for salary increase be taken wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2005
US
Hello,
I've been at my current position for going on 90 days. Prior to be taking the position they had promised (in writing of course) a minimum increase of $2,000 /yr upon completion of my first 90 days.

I have this nagging feeling that I should be making much more than this and did since I took the position, but I needed the job badly as I was unemployed. I feel I was kind of taken advantage of based upon my salary history. When I did the first interview I had no salary history on my resume. Upon the second interview, they requested I bring another resume, which I did and which had my salary history as well since that appeared to get me more responses on careerbuilder. Well anyways, prior to going to the second interview I had asked how much the position was paying, she had told me "$45-55,000"

Upon the offer, they only made an offer of $32k with the increase to a minimum of $34k at the end of my 90 days. The position is great, I really enjoy it. But it's a lot of responsiblity. I am the only IT employee in the bank and support everything. To be honest I do my job well, doing everything from bank software upgrades, network administration, web design/development, IT purchase suggestions, etc.

According to salary.com the position of "Network Administrator 3" (the closest match to what I do) says I should make between $58,296(low) $66,074(median) (high)$75,488, in my area. I put together a letter, which I'm still not done writing, but I'm asking for a raise up to $42,000 /yr. For a total increase of $10,000 annually.

I don't expect them to go this high, I'd be quite content with $38,000-$40,000. Only reason I'm asking for such an amount is I found out health insurance through them will total $5,000 /yr for my wife, our child (coming soon) and myself.

Please let me know your opinions. Will they be so insulted I'll get fired? Will they take it as me giving them an ultimateum? Like I said I enjoy my job and want to stay here, just the money doesn't match my job skills. I'm being paid the salary of a help desk employee for network admin work.

Thanks,

Greg

Did you sign a contract? If so, then you don't have much of an option. Usually, the company will present an offer and then you accept the terms of the offer with your signature. Hopefully this offer did not have any "term/length of service" required by you.

Because you are so new in the position with this company and they have already promised you a raise, I don't see them offering you more than that(banks seem to be rather cheap!)

I would suggest that you start looking for another job with another company. Not really to leave this job, but if you receive an offer that is more than you are currently making, then you can go to your current employer and discuss what you are worth. Make sure to focus on YOUR WORTH. Banks understand money and any boss you have there should understand your need for more.

Keep doing a great job along with having a good attitude and they will want to keep you.

Liking your job accounts for a lot. It is something that cannot be quantified.

Looking up a figure on salary.com might give you a idea of the amount others are making in a position, but there are a lot of other factors that are not know. How much work experience? What is the highest education attained? Have you done that job specifically for a number of years, not just IT in general?

What kind of web design/development? Are they just static html pages and maybe some php? Or are you developing java code for EJBs for an application server?

Software upgrades are something that almost anybody can do, so that is nothing special.

How large is the network? Are you only networking inside the bank (a LAN)? Or are there other branches around the city and possibly in another state (a WAN)? Are you maintaining a firewall as part of the network admining? How many subnets do you manage?

If a network admin 3 in your area is making $58-$75k/year, maybe they are maintaining firewalls and managing 10 subnets that are going to other states. My last job we had many subnets and had offices on both coasts and we were in the middle of the country.

When you were offered the job, that is the time you should have mentioned the quote of $45-$55k. Maybe they didn't feel your resume was strong enough to offer $45k. Maybe they lowballed the offer because they knew you were unemployed. Maybe a combination of both. Only they can explain why.

You may be correct to ask about the $2k increase after the 90 days, but to ask for even $38k after 3 months is not something I would do in that short of a time frame. Maybe after 1 year. I would at least wait for asking for a $6k until you have a review from your manager to know where you stand.

Good Luck.

Banks are very cheep. My brother-in-law has worked for a bank for years. They pay the lowest sallary that they can, no matter what.

How much experience do you have in the field you are currently working? Any certs?

The company will probably respond with 32k plus the 2k raise was the agreed upon rate by both parties when you started. They may not look kindly on renegotation.

I wouldn't think that you would put your job at risk by asking. However they probably won't like it very much.

Only three months is a short period of time to wait before asking for a raise. They may have offered you the 32k salary assuming that you were going to try to negotiate a higher sallary which would be closer to the $45k-$55k that they were ranged at. Unforunitelly just because the budget for the position was $45-$55k there is nothing stating that the company can't try to get people for less than that.

It is one of the HR departments jobs to get the best people at the lowest cost per hour/year.

I'm with paterson so looking for another job. With luck you could use the new company to bid up the current company a little. If not, you've got a new job to fall into.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Yea I'm polishing up my resume, although I really don't want to leave b/c I do in fact like this job a lot.

With regard to the network, it's 2 subnets, 3 physical locations. I manage everything but our banking processes, as those are outsourced b/c the bank does not and cannot afford that kind of infrastructure. I manage the LAN & WAN (firewalls, replication, etc.).

I probably won't ask for that much, although I may ask for $38k, I still haven't decided. Only reason I queried salary.com was for something to back up with my discussions with them.

About the salary negotiations, the reason I feel I was prejudged by my past salary, when I was told how much it was budgeted for and they asked what my request was, I did request $40,000, which they didn't go for. So I think I'm pretty screwed in that fact.

And as far as banks being cheap, oh yes extremely!

Thank you for you advice,

Greg

Does anyone know if there's a salary.com for Canada?

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Awesome, thanks gpastorelli.

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

3 months and ask for a raise already? They still have the stack of resumes they received.

On another note, if your supervisor sees you as a very valuable asset to the department, you'll get the raise of even $45K average on the market. It's simply a paperwork. You just have to be honestly and extremely convincing. They will buy it if they have no other alternative of equal skill set.

I'd probably wait.

And - after 6 month or so - in a friendly discussion on a breakfast table drop the words about what are average salaries (esp when you know what may be your colleagues earn) Or something like that.

As kHz said - liking a job is worth a lot. That way you are not risking much. And whats wrong with waiting a little longer, til your boss and your colleagues also learnd to value your work and yourself.

You've got to say, if you are not happy - but writing a letter you will create uncomftable facts. That I also would choose only when having a nice offer somewhere else.

Juliane

They have been made aware of your desire to achieve $40K/year in previous negotiations, that is nothing new. In your review proccess, graciously accept your pay raise of $2K, and thank them for it. Make sure to show your appreciation in moving toward your established goal of $40K/year( and do so in that context).

You established a goal of $40K/year during your hiring proccess, so that should not be an issue, or they would have or should have made that clear. That being established, the issue is the time frame to achieve that level. You have already done the ground work for creating the goal. Do not back off, but be flexible in the time line, if you enjoy your work. Have an open honest discussion with the powers that be about how to attain that goal in their expectations. Lay the ground work for goals for yourself to reach that level that both parties can agree upon. Most reasonable employers will not take issue with someone motivated to achieve in order to recieve. Concentrate on what you can bring to the table in order to be able to take something for yourself off that table. Numbers help with this, accumulate some numbers that effect the bottom line due to your performance. Show some impact, and make it known. Put some points(benifits to the bottom line) on the board versus the previous person doing your job, or the previous numbers.
Hang in there, and establishing a goal $/year, and being flexible in the time line is key. If you could get $2K/ year for 4 years, you are there. If that was concievable would that make you content?

I usually set a goal, make it known, make the powers that be aware of that goal, and then decide if the progress toward this goal is comparable to my progress in demonstrating my worth.
You just have to decide if the time line will be something you can live with. Other things you can ask for which are not solely monetary, like training, flex time, bonuses, etc., can also contribute to your overall satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back